• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat BBC HD Subtitles & Teletext

Orion3

Standard Member
:lease: Can anyone help me with regard to Subtitles on BBC HD via Freesat? I have just bought a Humax Foxsat HD box primarily to watch HD programming. Whilest the picture quality of BBC HD looks fantastic it would appear that for some reason I am not able to get subtitles or indeed teletext on BBC HD. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I have contacted Freesat who claim that all BBC Channels are 'fully functional' to quote and I have also contacted Humax. Humax say that no teletext or subtitle data is available on BBC HD. Obviously Freesat is a new service and teething troubles are to be expected. However before I remonstrate further with the powers that be at Humax or The Beeb it would be great if anyone could check out the subtitles situation on BBC HD with any freesat equipment to hand. Thanks for taking the time to read this :thumbsup:

David Robinson

If you mean the old style Ceefax analogue teletext with subtitles on page 888, there is none on BBC HD (or any HD channel as far as I know). The modern digital subtitles that are accessed via menus on your box, are on BBC HD programmes where advertised (not on the previews though).

On my Humax HDCI-2000 (non Freesat) box, the subtitles are accessed via the OPT+ button - I don't know if yours is the same.

nwhitfield

The BBC HD page gives some answers:

Does BBC HD have interactive services?
Not at the moment. In time it is our aspiration to provide equivalent interactivity to that on standard definition TV.

Does BBC HD have access services such as subtitles, audio description and signing?
There are subtitles on most high definition programmes, and we have tested audio describing on Hustle, Heroes and How We Built Britain.

As with standard definition, we will build up access services over time.

David Robinson

Hmm... it does sound like a software issue with your receiver. BBC HD definitely has subtitles - this can be selected on my box at any time, even if the current programme doesn't have them. I remember when I first got my Humax, I had the same problem as you, but it was fixed in later software. I think you will have to contact Humax again and don't let them fob you off - it's all right leaving the BBC! :rolleyes:

Orion3

Standard Member
Oh that may have answered my question.

It is the digital teletext I am refering to. It works just fine on all the BBC standard definition channels on freesat but when I press the Sub button on the Humax remote it doesn't appear to work on BBC-HD. The other channels display Teletext and Subtitles icons on the Info bar but do not on BBC-HD.

I have looked for subtitles on several of the BBC-HD programes shown during the evening (not the Preview) but when I press Sub, instead of getting subtitles, a box pops up on screen saying "No Subtitle Data" yet the nice people at Freesat say that all channels are 'fully functional'. Does this mean that there isn't going to be text and subtitiles on BBC-HD via freesat :mad:

nwhitfield

It means pretty much what that quote from the BBC web site says:

There are subtitles on most BBC HD programmes (but not the preview).

And there aren't interactive text services at the moment, but they hope to provide them in future.

If you try and look for subtitles right now, when it's showing the preview loop, you won't see them. Wait until there's a programme going out this evening, and then you should.

Orion3

Standard Member
OK, So far tonight I've watched on BBC HD, Match of the Day: The FA Cup Final, A Little Later, Planet Earth, Robin Hood and I'd Do Anything ..Still my Humax Foxsat HD box shows 'No subtitle data' on all of them. So much for subtitles being available as far as I can see they are not. I notice the word 'Subtitles' even appears before each program on the BBC HD screen. Is anyone with a Grundig HD, Bush HD or Goodmans HD Freesat box experiencing the same problem or is this perculiar to Humax? Oh and theres no Teletext service on BBC HD either!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom