Freesat/Apple TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by SIP, Jan 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all

Not too sure where to post this as the issue could be from multiple sources, but seeing my Humax PVR is involved I suppose here is as good as anywhere.

My Panasonic Tv has 3 HDMI sockets. Two at the back and one at the front. The back sockets have the Humax in one and my Panasonic BluRay in another. Last year I got the Apple TV (2nd Gen) and when in use, I connect this to the front, which is ok for the short period of use, but is not practical long term and looks a mess. Recently I have bought a mains powered 3 port HDMI switching unit which I have connected to the rear HDMI of the Panasonic TV that was used by the Blu Ray. The Blu Ray and Apple TV are now plugged into the switching unit and in practice, I can now just select which device I need from the switching unit.

Sadly, this seems to be having some sort of weird effect on the Humax PVR. Since I have put the switching unit in place, the PVR switches on an off at random intervals. Also I can be watching the PVR with the switching unit off, and suddenly the picture will go off but the sound remains?? I could understand some issues if the PVR was connected to the switching unit, and I was getting some sort of cross talk, but the PVR is on its own HDMI. Can anyone shed any light on this??

Thanks

Philip

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Which hdmi input of the TV is used by which? On Panasonics Hdmi 1 will usually accept 'control signalling' when enabled on the TV whereas Hdmi 2 (&3) doesn't.

Try: 1) swapping the inputs around to see if it still does it 2) switching all 3 devices into one input of the TV?

PS "the PVR switches on an off at random intervals" ... do you mean it goes into standby or a complete blank front panel (no red light even)... or just that you lose the picture on the TV?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    HDMI "1" is used by the Humax - "2" is connected to the switching box.

The Humax goes into standby rather than switches off.

I will try swapping the HDMI cables over, at the back, and see what this produces.

Philip

4. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

Swapped all HDMI plugs over. Have switcher unit now going into HDMI2 and Humax/Blu/TV all connected to switching unit. Now both TV and Humax playing up. TV keeps flickering between picture and blank screen with the TV info in the top left going mad.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    It's more of a TV topic than a satellite or Freesat but it can stay here now it's got started.:)
    You have three HDMI devices and three HDMI input sockets, so much the best thing to do is use those.
    Switchers are notoriously unreliable and different devices react differently to them.
    I tried several types but soon gave up on them and they're now in the junk box.

6. Poundbury

Poundbury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same issue. I got over it by obtaining a HDMI lead from Amazon with a right angle plug - now I can't see the cable any more.

7. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

While that would be an alternative, my third HDMI socket is on the front of the TV under a flap. Whatever angle the cable is at, it will still require the front flap open with a wire hanging out of it!

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    I reckon it's a problem with CEC controlled sockets (can CEC be switched off in the TV menus- Viera Link in Panny speak). Pannys have a non standard activity based auto select on HDMI1. I have a 5 way auto switch on a single hdmi input on my AV amp which replaced a 3 way neet switch which worked flawlessly. I even tried the neet in series with the new one and it still worked. The new one has IR control as well (never used it). It connects a Sony blu-ray player, a Denon DVD player, a pS3 and my laptop to a single hdmi port. It works perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    That makes sense - I wouldn't want it either.
    That leaves the question of why the Freesat machine in one rear HDMI socket should be affected at all by the HDMI switch in the other - let's see if any Humax enthusiasts have any ideas,

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,108
    Not sure if this is relevant but Humax HD boxes when waking to record briefly activate hdmi out. When connected to a Pannies hdmi1 the port activity briefly auto selects the port (very annoying if you are watching something else). Moving the connection to hdmi2 eliminates the problem. There's no CEC control on the Humax boxes so it's a feature of the Panny.

Afaik the other ports on a Panny support standard CEC (Viera-Link) which may cause problems with an auto hdmi switch. Don't have a Panny but I guess you can turn off Viera-Link to see if it resolves the problem.

11. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have messed around again with it today, and it does seem like a tv issue, although I did put the apple, humax and bluray all into the switching unit and tried HDMI 1 (tried 2 yesterday) and I get nothing. If I select the Humax on the switching unit there is no picture, but every now and again there is a burst of sound.

I wil try going into the settings on the TV again, but when I looked through yesterday there was nothing that indicated that I could turn off CEC.

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Thanks for the details glt, and I can see the CEC interfering with the switch.

13. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    :rtfm:
    Dig out your manual - or download a copy.

There's two places it seems to be referred to in mine:
    1) Control with HDMI "HDAVI Control" (details what it will do with compatible kit and
    2) Setup Menu ... Control with HDMI... On/Off

and similar in the Father-in-Law's (more modern set) under 'Link Functions' and 'Viera Link on/off'

It's ON for my TV and - now I've found out what it does - suddenly realise I have no suitable hdmi kit attached (I'd naively assumed it was just to allow the PVR to source select over hdmi). :blush: The things I learn by reading the manual, reading this forum and checking out Wikipedia!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    You know what they say about reading the manual.;)

15. SIP

SIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the subtle reminder, but I have read the manual...several times before posting the question!

I can turn off the Viera Link in the TV settings, it was off anyway, but this has no bearing on the problem as the same happens regardless of whether Viera is on or off. I understand what the Viera Link does, I just can't understand why something that is plugged into HDMI 2 can keep switching on and off something that is in HDMI 1

16. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    OK... To sum up: All 3 bits of kit coexisted happily when connected to the 3 separate hdmi inputs of the TV (hdmi 1 &2 on rear, hdmi 3 on front.

A 3-into 1 hdmi switcher connected results in items doing unexpected things. {In all permutations of 2 device to switch and 1 in TV using either hdmi 1 or 2 for each. What about all 3 devices in switch to either hdmi 1 or 2??}

At least - temporarily - go back to using all 3 hdmi inputs to prove all 3 items will coexist on the TV. Then add the switch as a pass-through on one device (still using all 3 hdmi inputs of the TV) ... is that OK? or??

The conclusion I have come to is the switcher itself is the source of the problems. Try a different brand, perhaps?

NB my understanding of CEC / Viera Link is that switching on (for example) the Blu-Ray player in hdmi 2 can/will bring on the Surround Amp connected to hdmi 1 and switching off will switch both off (for example). If the switcher is (unintentionally) 'messing with' the serial data on the CEC line(s), anything could happen?.

Switching off Viera Link on the TV will only stop IT from sending/responding to CEC control. You may need to defeat it on other things, as well?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012