1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesat and Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by avonvilla, Apr 5, 2005.

1. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read through the forum and i'm still confused, my mother wants to have a sky + box but doesn't want any fancy packages she would be happy with the freesat one off card deal but will the sky + box work with this in the normal way ie recording/programme selection etc or will it still require the £10 a month. I found a article on the bbc website that says "Viewers can also buy a Sky Plus box - which contains a hard disc-based video recorder - without the need for a subscription to programme packages. " which is cleverly written me thinks.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The recording features of SKY+ only work if you pay the £10 a month subscription for the service or have a suitable channel package (two SKY premium channels) which means the sub is waived.

No chance of her using the DTT/Freeview equivalent?

3. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She cant get a freeview signal :-( cant see any other option but sky + really but they only watch terrestrial channels

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well SKY+ is a fantastic piece of kit but a bit expensive if you only want to record the FTA/FTV channels.
    How about a DVD/HD recorder connected to a standard digibox, granted more expensive to buy but cheaper to run.
    It won't be as easy to use but I would still consider a Hard Drive based system ahead of the old fashioned but reliable VCR anyday:)

5. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sky + thats why i was telling them it's the way to go but the subscription doesn't suit em. They have 6 videos and use em all ! tapes everywhere and mayem, they need to have a hard disc based system and with integral tuners but unless they can get a freeview signal i dont see what they can do thats an all in one solution. The seperate digibox would be too complex for there use, they tape far too much stuff.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    They may have to bite the bullet then and go down the SKY+ route until such a time when analogue is shut down and DTT covers 98% of the country and a non-sub HD integrated Freeview system is viable.

How about a used TIVO (analogue tuner), pretty much flawless EPG and control of a digibox and once setup no need to worry about the digibox which could be placed out of the way and not require any direct control as TIVO would do the channel changing etc.

7. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    intersting tivo idea but they would need a digibox and a tivo for each replacement so 6 of each !

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    They really like their TV !
    :)

9. avonvilla

avonvilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned: