• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat and Sky

denimknight

Standard Member
Hi all,

Hope you can help me as I'm totally clueless when it comes to Satellite (I've always been a cable / virgin customer)... My Mother-in-law currently has Sky multi-room in her house, The living room is Sky+ HD (I think) and the two bedrooms is Sky+ (I think), she's cancelling multiroom because it's costing too much and wants an alternative, she is going to be keeping the Sky+ HD in the living room.

After looking about online I suggested she goes with a Freesat box. My understanding is that all I would have to do is get 2 Freesat boxes, one for each bedroom, disconnect the Sky+ boxes and connect up the Freesat ones and it will all just work.

Is that right? Or is it more complicated than that?

Another question is, do I need the Freesat boxes at all, or can the sky+ boxes (assuming she owns them) be used in anyway?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Alex

Assuming she cancels multiroom she will be left with sky+ hd in the living room and two sky boxes in the bedrooms. If the boxes were fitted over 12 months ago, there will be nothing to pay to keep the boxes and the cards. The bedroom boxes will show all the free channels but won't record. No need to buy a freesat box unless recording in the bedroom is required
If she is still hard up, she can cancel HD as well. She'll be left with all the channels she currently receives in SD in the living room and the living room box will continue to record as usual. That would save another £10.25 per month

Last edited:

denimknight

Standard Member
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply... As far as I know she's had the boxes for longer than a year, so that's good news. Basically she doesn't have to do anything :)

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Cheers

Alex

logiciel

can the sky+ boxes (assuming she owns them) be used in anyway?
Yes, she does, and they can. Why wouldn't they?:confused:
They'll continue to produce the free channels. Replacing them with FS machines for that alone would be pointless.
If the extra machines actually are Sky+ and she got them so as to use the + then replacement would arise.
There is something that has to be done - notify Sky by e-mail of the cancellation 31 days in advance of the date.

Last edited:

If the extra machines actually are Sky+ and she got them so as to use the + then replacement would arise.

But if she wants to use them for the free channels and doesn't want to use the record facility all she has to do is cancel multiroom and after a month the sub will cease and they will show all the free channels

logiciel

Correct. :thumbsup:
They'll continue to produce the free channels.
and the expired card will also produce a few channels that are not totally free.

Further to cancelling the HD part of her subscription I should have made it clear that she will continue to receive the free HD channels such as BBC1, BBC2, ITV hd, Channel 4HD and 5HD. It's only the paid for HD channels that revert to standard definition

logiciel

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom