Freesat and Sky HD from the same dish?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by spiidey, Jun 10, 2008.

1. spiidey

spiidey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a satellite dish provided by Sky that feeds a Sky HD box and two Sky+ boxes (6 feeds in total) from an octo-LNB.

As there are 2 left, if I was to purchase a Freesat HD box and get 2 coax cables (is that the correct term?) to run from the current Sky dish to the Freesat box, would the Freesat box work?

Or is it not possible to receive a Sky feed and a Freesat feed from the same dish?

2. Syphonic

Syphonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Should work no problem. Most people get freesat from a Sky dish.

3. spiidey

spiidey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So there's no problem with the signals being intertwined (can't think of the right word to describe it :eek:) or anything?

Where would I be able to purchase a coax cable that's long enough (would prob need at least 20 metres to get it round from the side of the house)?

4. Orchard6

Orchard6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Unless you know a decent sat engineer, you could try Maplins for the cable.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=275&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=sat cable&doy=10m6

If you live in Kent I know a sat engineer who will do a fantastic job, running cables in the loft and down if necessary and does not rip you off.
    PM me for details.
    :clap:

5. spiidey

spiidey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that :)

I live in Scotland, and we've got a TV guy down the road from us that's good and not extortionately expensive.

Is it tricky to fit a coax onto a satellite dish (never done this before) / would it be best to get the TV guy along to do it?

6. Orchard6

Orchard6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is not that tricky to run another length of sat cable from the LNB, but the TV guy near you will have all the gear and will be able to check the dish alignment and the signal strength at the same time.

If might be worth leaving it to him if his fee is reasonable.

I have just had a octo LNB fitted and 8 lengths of sat cable installed through the house via the loft! The engineer did a neater job that I would have done!