Freesat and freeview HD

GingerRocky

hi

recently upgraded my MIL's TV and she has an old sky box which is crap. she has no TV antenna into her lounge. i have given her my 55" sony 4K smart tv.

i want to add a box, non recordable, to provide freesat and freeview HD channels for her to view and ditch the sky box, and also to show the BBC 4K shows too via iplayer, which she has access to via the internet.

any recommendations, spending no more than £100

any good:
Amazon product

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
If you don’t have an aerial, then Freeview reception is a non-starter. The Manhattan box in your post will receive Freesat services, assuming the dish is in good order and is not set-up for SkyQ boxes, otherwise an LNB change will be required.

Rather than go this route, why not get an aerial sorted so that the Sony TV can be used as-is, without the need for extra boxes and the attendant problems that will undoubtedly surface?

GingerRocky

the sky dish is setup for non Q boxes. it works fine but is not proper full HD.

there is a terrestrial aerial, but we have no idea where it goes. i could ask a aerial guy to see and drill a bigger hole where the sky comes in. it is one option i'm thinking about. freesat has the channels she mainly watches though.

logiciel

The Sky dish “is not proper full HD”?:(

Fred Smith

There are no satellite boxes on the BBC I-Player UHD compatibility list. Just three Freeview and two Youview and cable boxes. Plenty of Freesat TV's though.

A possible solution is a HD Freesat box (4K versions are £125 non recording and recording versions £200 and over but read the owners threads) and a 4K capable Amazon or Roku stick as she has access to via the internet. The former and latter would come in under £100 for a pair of devices.

Last edited:
If the outdoor TV aerial is a no-go, why not try an indoor TV aerial ;)

It might be an idea to find out which DVB-T/T2 transmitters are available in your mother-in-laws area...

winston2010

Why on earth would one use a crappy indoor aerial against all the broadcasters recommendations when an outdoor one is available?

It shouldn't be difficult to trace it. It may even be diplexed into one of the satellite cables.

That's why I wrote... "If the outdoor TV aerial is a no-go...."

"If"

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom