Freesat alternative to Sky Q

ADaviesWales

Novice Member
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help/recommend a future proof satellite TV setup. I'm an ex Sky user who moved to Freesat by the way of a trusty Humax HDR-1000S 1tb freesat box and 9 years later I think its about time to upgrade.
I'm thinking of going down the vbox or Enigma2 route.
I've looked around and I like the vbox's local and remote streaming but I can't find many UK reviews and good reviews of their app.
I also like the VU+ (Enigma2) boxes and the customisation but I'm just a little lost.
When it comes my TV setup currently I have the humax connected to my 4k living room TV and the hdmi + ir is split and feed over ethernet to my bedroom TV.
I would love to have the option/flexibility to streaming my live and recorded TV content both locally and remote. I will be using android phones and Fire TV Sticks (one is the 4K version).
When it comes to recording TV I can either use an internal drive or my NAS as solutions.
Recommendations and help please.

Adrian

HeadBanger

I nearly bought the new Freesat box but due to its delayed release I ended up going the Linux route with a VU+ running OpenVix. I had Sky Q for a bit before the VU+ and a Humax before that.

If you don’t mind something that’s not ready for use out of the box and are fairly tech savvy I’d thoroughly recommend a Linux machine and OpenVix. Yes, it takes a bit of setting up but it is has much wider functionality. Once you have set it up as you want you can leave it be (unless you like tinkering).

There are a few threads on here if you search and also take a look over on World of Satellite.

HB

JonMace

Again go for enigma 2 ans openvix, everything is installed in the build for you to get up and running. watching live and recordings in other rooms is simple as an enigma2 PVR client is included in Kodi you can even pause live TV etc (as long as you have a HD / USB stick / Memory card) installed in the Enigma2 machine.

ADaviesWales

Novice Member
Thanks HB and Jon for the tips.
Is there a way to set and watch recordings when I'm away from home.

Also will any enigma2 machine do or do you recommend a few?

HB if I went down the Vu+ route (I'm thinking of a vu+ zero 4k) do you know does recording to NAS/network hdd work instead of external hdd. Also when recording to nas does the vu+ still respond OK.

Adrian

JonMace

Vu+ is a brand that is Enigma2 but is expensive, dont get me wrong they are very good .

As for setting recordings from away from home not sure. recording to NAS etc is easily done

HeadBanger

If you have a VPN then yes, you can use the webif to logon and set recordings remotely. You can also watch recordings on something like VLC.

You can also set them up to record to NAS. This is something I considered but ended up installing a HDD in the end. Assuming your network is sound and your NAS is capable it should be fine.

HB

Andy916

As another alternative, how would a refurb Humax box compare, such as this:

I'm tempted by one of these due to the general good repuation of Humax in the past, the problems with the new Arris box, and the learning curve of Enigma2 etc (I have tech background but would prefer to have something that works out of the box). I guess with the Humax we have 'only' HD (fine by me) but apart from that are there other downsides to buying one right now (apart from the limited guarantee period of a refurb unit)?

TIA, Andy

ADaviesWales

Novice Member
Hi Andy,

I did think about getting a refurbed Humax or even replacing the hdd. Another reason is with Humax moving away from Freesat, I would say their Freesat support will be limited in the future.

I'm from an IT background so I like the idea of Enigma2 boxes. With the standard of how TV broadcasting is changing I think a more flexible system is the way to go.

Currently I'm weighing up the different Enigma2 boxes on the market to see which one is the best around the £100-200 mark.

Adrian

dam2040

Standard Member
I nearly bought the new Freesat box but due to its delayed release I ended up going the Linux route with a VU+ running OpenVix. I had Sky Q for a bit before the VU+ and a Humax before that.

If you don’t mind something that’s not ready for use out of the box and are fairly tech savvy I’d thoroughly recommend a Linux machine and OpenVix. Yes, it takes a bit of setting up but it is has much wider functionality. Once you have set it up as you want you can leave it be (unless you like tinkering).

There are a few threads on here if you search and also take a look over on World of Satellite.

HB
I really like the look of these how hard are they to set up ???

HeadBanger

I really like the look of these how hard are they to set up ???
Not so much hard; it’s the amount of settings that are available for change.

If you are tech savvy you won’t find it hard but it does take time. It’s a tweaker’s paradise as you can customise almost everything e.g. EPG grid size, font sizes, extension/plugin apps (I recommend adding Cross EPG Downloader (allows C4 HD) and VPS (accurate time recording where broadcaster transmits timing metadata)) etc..

If you do buy a Linux box and instal OpenVix and need some help just post again (tagging or quoting me so that I get notified). :thumbsup:

HB

JonMace

Yeh really not that hard at all, vix makes it easy with things like auto bouquet maker built it (this just allows you to say what ITV and BBC regions you are in then it scans for all you channels.

As said there is lots of tweaking you can do but at the same time you dont need to.

so basically, download Vix, extract to to a USB stick, plug it in to the receiver, turn the mains power off on the receiver then back on again, press the standby button on the receiver.

Give it a few minutes and you will have installed Vix.

When the box boots it will ask you about your tuners, tell it 28.2E. follow the rest of the set up but not the scan, the will set up the network.

OK after setup, press menu and go to setup - Tuners auto bouquet maker - providers, tick Freesat and Sky (in sky tick FTA only) enter your BBC and ITV areas into both then Green to save, and green again to scan.

Exit again go to EPG -epg import - blue for sources comes down to near the end for UK, tick them all. green to save

On the list off options there Automatic EPG Import needs to be enabled, if its not while its highlighted press OK.

Press green to save, this will take you out of EPG Importer, go back in and press yellow to manually grab EPG, this will take a few mins.

You will now have a working Box. For me just setting up Favourites if probably enough ends up being so much better than any other box out there

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom