Freesat & Aerial Questions

dmce

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just moved into a house that doesnt have an aerial (only virgin which i dont want), could i just go the freesat route and forget about an aerial?

Would this mean i couldnt get setanta though?

Ive just moved into a house that doesnt have an aerial (only virgin which i dont want), could i just go the freesat route and forget about an aerial?

Would this mean i couldnt get setanta though?

You can forget about an aerial with Freesat ... you'll need a satellite dish.

You can't receive Setanta via Freesat.

ATB

Max

As i suspected Max, thanks.

However it may want Setanta sports for the football which im not sure i can get via freesat?

I suppose if i went down the sky offer thats going about just now i could keep sky as well as getting a freesat box and just run both (if i get quad lnb) and get setanta through sky

As i suspected Max, thanks.

However it may want Setanta sports for the football which im not sure i can get via freesat?

I suppose if i went down the sky offer thats going about just now i could keep sky as well as getting a freesat box and just run both (if i get quad lnb) and get setanta through sky

Yes, you can indeed do that. Other than that you'd need Virgin Media, or Freeview and an aerial, there's no other way of receiving Setanta at this time.

ATB

Max

"Setanta Sport, a pay-tv sports network presently available on Sky and Freeview, are currently in discussions with Freesat. They are considering allowing access to their channels through Freesat, free of charge, with income coming from advertising only.

This would be a huge boost for Freesat as Setanta is seen as an important package for keen sports fans, with a proportion of english football and world golf, plus many other sports.

Whilst an interesting prospect, Setanta will have to put significant investiment into making their channels available FTA on Freesat, whilst continuing to supply to Sky customers by subscription only.

The discussions are in very early days, thereÂ’s no way Setanta would take such a move now, but the future would certainly look interesting if Freesat can place agreements with such channels."

That is an interesting scenario! What's the source of the info, can we have a link please?

ATB

Max

Non Authoritive source, but makes interesting reading nethertheless.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/setanta-sport-in-discussion-with-freesat

Graham.

Setanta were rumoured to be pushing freesat to allow a CI slot to be included in the specification of the freesat, the rumour on that blog would appear to be linked to that. I think there is absolutely zero chance of Setantas subscription channels going FTA on freesat. There is a chance Setanta Sports News could join freesat - it is already FTV on Sky but this would depend on whether they have any "rights issues" on their news programming and need to move to Astra 2D to get round that. They would certainly have to find room for their 9 subscription channels on Astra 2D to cover their "rights issues" on those channels. All this spells out to me that there is zero chance in the next couple of years.

Non Authoritive source, but makes interesting reading nethertheless.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/setanta-sport-in-discussion-with-freesat

Graham.

Indeed it was interesting reading, but I'm not sure I can take it seriously unless we hear Freesat or Setanta talking about it themselves.

It has always been my opinion that for Freesat to rival Sky as a genuine alternative, they would have to become 'Paysat'. If they can pull this Setanta rumour off, that would be a way to bring premium material to the platform. I can't see it myself though, as it would appear that advertising revenue alone will not support the budget for program aquisition.

ATB

Max

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom