Freesat - access to other uncrypted channels on same satellite not part of freesat?

wjharing

Hi, for those who already have a freesat box, is it possible to add (watch) other unencrypted channels that are on the same satellite, but not yet (officially) part of the Freesat package?

Cheers,
Wouter.

Bachstrad

Novice Member
Hi, for those who already have a freesat box, is it possible to add (watch) other unencrypted channels that are on the same satellite, but not yet (officially) part of the Freesat package?

Cheers,
Wouter.

Yes, providing the box you buy has the facility for a manual search, not all do.

It's the only way to get many of the regional ITV & BBC channels at the moment. Obviously these channels won't appear in the EPG and it can lead to disaray in your channel line up. But yes, you can do it.

ATB

Max

wjharing

thanks.

I wrote to Topfield, and they confirmed that a FreeSat approved box will be made available 'soon' (next iteration of new STBs). Their regular HD-recorder does have this functionality as well, so hopefully won't be lost on the new FreeSat version.

Humax (and the other "Launch" manufacturers) have a 6 month exclusive "window" - so you won't!

6 months runs out in November, just in time for Xmas sales.

BrianMc

Novice Member
6 months runs out in November, just in time for Xmas sales.
Depends crucially on what is meant by this surely! If it means that Freesat won't sign an agreement with any manufacturers before then (which is most likely) then all the development time needs to be added on!

wjharing

I made sure to put 'soon' in brackets ;)
But they were indeed talking about the second wave, so if the exclusivity window is 6 months, the TopField might find itself on the shelf by Christmas. (as I assume they would do all development and testing now, and not wait for 6 more months)

Humax (and the other "Launch" manufacturers) have a 6 month exclusive "window" - so you won't!

dan1979

I did a manual search on the humax and found all the expected channels.

Is there any way I can switch between freesat and all my FTA channels without re-scanning for channels?

At the moment it sticks me in either category depending on which set I've most recently scanned (even when I stop the scan immediately).

WibXL

I did a manual search on the humax and found all the expected channels.

Is there any way I can switch between freesat and all my FTA channels without re-scanning for channels?

At the moment it sticks me in either category depending on which set I've most recently scanned (even when I stop the scan immediately).

Press menu and then select which mode you want using stb mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom