• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat 4K box failed recordings

Ke33er

Novice Member
Hi. This is my first post so apologies if it’s in the wrong place. I bought one of the new Freesat boxes a couple of weeks ago and nearly all my recordings are failing. I’ve done a factory reset but the problem persists. I’ve tried Googling but all the results seem to be about Humax boxes. I’ve emailed Freesat but had no response so I’m hoping someone here has some advice on how to resolve this. Thanks in advance

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Which channel are they on ?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
It has happened on BBC1, BBC2, and Channel 4

Not sure about channel 4 but the BBC channels

Ke33er

Novice Member
Thanks for that but I’m not sure it’s the root of my problems as my future recordings are showing the episode to be recorded plus the next one in 7 days time, and some of them have been standalone recordings

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for that but I’m not sure it’s the root of my problems as my future recordings are showing the episode to be recorded plus the next one in 7 days time, and some of them have been standalone recordings

It could be the new box treats the crid codes slightly differently to the older boxes. No experience with the new box, but there are ways of displaying the relevant series and programme crids so as to be certain on the Humax boxes . However to remain compatible it should use the same standards

However check the the programme info. If it says series x episode 1 (given the programme name and channel should be easy enough to check) what the x is) . Hopefully the new box should have a similar diagnostic mode. without being able to see and compare this data impossible to say.

Stand alone one offs also would not work as the series crid and programme crid would both need to match. Say the last episode not yet transmitted was episode 6. And the next found in the epg was episode 1. It would have a different series crid series ? and programme crid for episode 1.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Here's how the system is supposed to work.

Remember an event is new not yet recorded programme (one off or series) has two CRID codes (content reference identifiers).

1 a unique series crid that the broadcaster considers is part of the same series gets recorded into the same folder.

2 a unique programme CRID that is designed to stop multiple recordings of the same episode.

It does rely on the broadcaster completely understanding this,

At least on Humax boxes ). No idea if fixed on the Arras box. A new event in a series with a different programme name changes the folder name.,

Example ITV transmiitted a series of older Bond Movies with the same series CRID. Result the series folder changed to the last recorded movie in the series.

And lastly a totally stupid order of displayed order of contents on the freesat humax boxes. Only you having the new box can tell us if this has now been corrected.

On a humax box the episode number in the programme crid takes precedence. So a series like Father Brown that can have say 6 series with 6 episodes, weeks apart.

Appears in the recording list as

Series 1 episode 1

Series 2 episode 1 (a long time later.

etc

no sort order based on time and date of actual recording is provided. despite repeated requests to provide this simple request to Freesat. Frankly it beggars belief.

These are the so called experts, (has been drips under pressure).

It will take a while to spot this on your Arris Box.

CatsWithThumbs

Hi, when you say failing, is the entire recording failing or do you get part of the recordings? And do you know what software version the box is on?

The reason I ask is I had a similar issue on the original software when I received mine. Every single recording failed to complete (but was marked as "Incomplete" rather than "Failed"). I was getting about half of each show, either the beginning or the end or a chunk from the middle was lost. Factory reset did not resolve that either. I don't remember what the original version was, but when it then upgraded to 1.2.6 (most recent) the problem went away.

Anyhow by that point I had already setup a return and sourced another, which has so far behaved impecably on both the original and updated software (well as far as recording success anyway, there's a few other niggles)

Ke33er

Novice Member

Remember an event is new not yet recorded programme (one off or series) has two CRID codes (content reference identifiers).

1 a unique series crid that the broadcaster considers is part of the same series gets recorded into the same folder.

2 a unique programme CRID that is designed to stop multiple recordings of the same episode.

At least on Humax boxes ). No idea if fixed on the Arras box. A new event in a series with a different programme name changes the folder name.,

Example ITV transmiitted a series of older Bond Movies with the same series CRID. Result the series folder changed to the last recorded movie in the series.

And lastly a totally stupid order of displayed order of contents on the freesat humax boxes. Only you having the new box can tell us if this has now been corrected.

On a humax box the episode number in the programme crid takes precedence. So a series like Father Brown that can have say 6 series with 6 episodes, weeks apart.

Series 1 episode 1

etc

no sort order based on time and date of actual recording is provided. despite repeated requests to provide this simple request to Freesat. Frankly it beggars belief.

I’ve had a look this morning

Series 1 episode 1

etc

I can’t find any info about how to get the box to show the crid codes, and there is nothing obvious in the system settings so I’m a bit stumped on that until someone more wily than me figures it out. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the help.

Ke33er

Novice Member
Hi, when you say failing, is the entire recording failing or do you get part of the recordings? And do you know what software version the box is on?

The reason I ask is I had a similar issue on the original software when I received mine. Every single recording failed to complete (but was marked as "Incomplete" rather than "Failed"). I was getting about half of each show, either the beginning or the end or a chunk from the middle was lost. Factory reset did not resolve that either. I don't remember what the original version was, but when it then upgraded to 1.2.6 (most recent) the problem went away.

Anyhow by that point I had already setup a return and sourced another, which has so far behaved impecably on both the original and updated software (well as far as recording success anyway, there's a few other niggles)
Hi. Thanks for responding. The whole recording is failing the majority of the time. I’ve had 2 or 3 occasions where it had recorded 30 seconds of a programme.
the software version is 1.2.6

Ke33er

Novice Member
No, that didn’t do anything. I had three things set to record last night and they all recorded fine - annoying because I haven’t changed anything so I’m not confident that it will continue!

Expostie

Standard Member
Still is not fixed I am stil getting failed recordings,and not one second is showing as I press play then it gives the option to delete etc.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
For the first time in ages I had a failed recording on ITVHD on my Humax 1100S. Signals seem fine, no other failures, but the box is getting old. I would struggle to justify replacing it though, as I only really use Freesat for decent access to BBC4HD, whose future looks in doubt, unless you value a dedicated repeats channel.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom