Freeplay Devo

• Thread starter Deleted member 39241
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39241

Thinking of getting one of these.

Anyone heard of them, any thoughts? Will the sound quality be rubbish out of that little speaker? I just want to use it for around the house radio, in the spare room, bathroom, garden etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is the wind-up radio designed by Trevor Bayliss's company then bear in mind that you only get 3 minutes of play on DAB between winds.

What do you want the radio for? If you want a good audio quality radio then all Sony FM radios I've ever tried sound very good and are far cheaper than DAB radios.

Hi, I guess my main spec is that it has an integrated battery, so I can recharge it via the mains overnight, and have it completely portable during the day, for when I am in different rooms, or the garden.

An FM tuner is a must, a DAB tuner is a bonus, and good sound quality would be nice...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know whether that Freeplay thing has an integrated battery other than the fact that you can wind a level to provide 3 minutes of play.

If you want good battery life then you'd be far better off with an FM portable. My Sony FM portable (that cost £25 and sounds excellent) and my Philips ghetto blaster literally last for weeks on one charge of a set of rechargeable batteries.

DAB portables eat batteries (you're talking about 8 hours or so of play), so FM-only is your best bet. The longest life you'd get is on an FM-only (ignoring whether it's got MW, LW or not) and with a dial rather than an LCD display of the frequency.

deleted member,

The Devo has an integrated rechargeable battery that gives 6h of DAB or 36 h of FM (Mf Specs). That looks ok, it just depends on what it's reception & audio stage is like (an unknown).

If it is a decent quality unit, it would be a good solution for around the house use.

Currys Digital or whatever it's called is doing this radio for £40 at the moment. Is it really the case that you only get 3 minutes of DAB when you wind it up? Sounds pretty pants if that's the case. Is it worth the punt for the built-in rechargeable battery and 6 hours of DAB?

Cheers,

jah

Hi Jah,

Yeah the wind up function isn't really feasible if you only want to listen to DAB. It has an internal battery that when fully charged will give you about 6 hours of mains free listening. That should be more than enough for most situations.

It also has a completely separate FM tuner which is where the wind up bit comes in useful. A few minutes winding will give you an hour or so playback, so it's really good if you suddenly find yourself without power.

I have one, and think that at £40 it's a bargain. Cost more than twice that when I got mine. You can pick them up at any Currys or CurrysDigital store or online here

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=868381&category_oid=

Hope that helps!

Hi Jah,

Yeah the wind up function isn't really feasible if you only want to listen to DAB. It has an internal battery that when fully charged will give you about 6 hours of mains free listening. That should be more than enough for most situations.

It also has a completely separate FM tuner which is where the wind up bit comes in useful. A few minutes winding will give you an hour or so playback, so it's really good if you suddenly find yourself without power.

I have one, and think that at £40 it's a bargain. Cost more than twice that when I got mine. You can pick them up at any Currys or CurrysDigital store or online here

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=868381&category_oid=

Hope that helps!

Yep, thanks for that. I am interested in it for emergencies, power cuts, etc., so if it'll manage an hour on FM with a couple of minutes winding it's probably worth a punt.

Cheers,

jah

Yep, thanks for that. I am interested in it for emergencies, power cuts, etc., so if it'll manage an hour on FM with a couple of minutes winding it's probably worth a punt.

Cheers,

jah

I got mine for £35 delivered from Amazon (via Expansys) and use it in the bathroom. Really happy with it :thumbsup:

I got mine for £35 delivered from Amazon (via Expansys) and use it in the bathroom. Really happy with it :thumbsup:

Expansys are the devil's spawn. I'll pay the extra fiver from Currys;).

Cheers,

jah

Expansys are the devil's spawn. I'll pay the extra fiver from Currys;).

Cheers,

jah
Some would argue Currys is the spawn of a lesser demon, but a demon none the less!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom