1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freelancer

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Peter J Roberts, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Peter J Roberts

Peter J Roberts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to know if any of you are playing freelancer yet?

Im really loving it exept it causes my machine to crash quite a lot.
    anyone else finding this?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    I have got this and been playing it for the last two weeks. Brilliant game. Just captures the spirit of Elite and similar games that I have been waiting ages to play again.

It hasn't crashed on me at all. In fact it is the first game I have played for years which hasn't done this. Doesn't even require an instant patch like every other game in existence (CM4 anyone). Yey to Microsoft Games.

But maybe I have just been lucky.

Have you tried the support forum on Microsoft for an answer. Try this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?PR=gms&FR=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US

or download the patch if you haven't already done so.
    http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/downloads_06.asp

Greg

3. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone got any moer ideas with Freelancer. I recently got this and am getting annoyed only being able to play for a few minutes before it crashes.
    I've tried reinstalling the game, getting the latest drivers for my Geforce4 Ti 4200, both the default nVidia ones and the the ones from the microsoft update website.
    I've got the latest drivers for my Sound Blaster Live! card. I've got the latest Directx 9b. I think I've tried everything on the link given above and updating to version 1.1 of Freelancer didn't help either.

Any other suggestions? Short of reformatting my computer and starting fresh, I've run out of ideas.
    Thanks.

4. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to jump in but if anyone could tell me where the cheapest place to get this is I'd be gratefull.

I loved Elite on the BBC Model B and would love to play something that comes close to it again... Thanks.

Hope you get the problem sorted mate.

Regards,
    Iain.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How exactly does it crash? PC lock-up, blue screen, back to desktop etc.?

Impossible to guess what's wrong without more information.

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I got mine from eBay for £12.

Usually they go for a bit more than this, but if you keep an eye on it you might be able to bag a bargain eventually...

7. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It can be at any point during the game. It's crashed during cut scenes, when docked making repairs, flying around, in a mission, not in a mission. Seemingly random.
    When it crashes, the screen goes black but the sound continues.
    Either it's the same sound repeated in a loop like a stuck record or, when it crashes during cut scenes, the speaking continues but with no picture until the end of the cutscene where nothing further happens.
    I can't ALT-TAB to a different program or use the windows key. In fact the keyboard is so locked up, you can't turn the CAPS LOCK light on or off.

Normally, when forcing my computer to power off without running windows shutdown, I have to hold the power button for several seconds. When Freelancer crashes I can just press the button and the computer powers down as if windows shutdown had been run.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I didn't think it was at all like elite or first encounters.

Freelancer comes across as quite open ended, but the only missions outside the main missions are hunt and kill missions that get very repetitive.

It's good online though, and elite 4 is coming! ;)

http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/elite4/faq.html

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the graphics card/graphics driver.

I'd try running some stress testing progs. Prime '95, Mem Test etc.. just to rule out your memory/cpu.

Then maybe 3D Mark (01 & 03), can show graphics problems (Open GL subsystem etc..).

Beyond that, run dxdiag checks, update everything etc...

Best of luck ;)

10. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the advice Kramer but after trying so many different things, I'm sorry to say I've given up.
    I've tried removing every single audio codec, sound driver, graphics driver, directx. I've reinstalled Freelancer tonnes of times, I found registry hacks for it, I found specific codecs. I think I know that Microsoft knowledge database backwards now. :(

All that's left would be a complete wipe of my hard drive and reinstall on windows and freelancer and nothing else. Little bit extreme for one game, especially as everything else works.
    Maybe Freelancer just doesn't like me :confused:

I might try this if I find a spare hard drive lying around. I think I have an old 4GB drive in a draw somewhere. Hope that's enough space for WinXP and Freelancer. Guess I could put Win98 SE instead....

I used to enjoy the challenge of getting pcs to work. I've done it many times before on numerous computers. I now realise I only enjoy it when I'm successful!

11. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, on Sunday, while recovering from my Rugby induced alcoholic euphoric state (ie I had a hangover), I installed Win XP on a blank hard drive. Put the latest sound and graphics drivers, let freelancer update directx and....... it crashed :(

Disabled the 3D sound in the game and it works!!! It actually works!!!!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So I have a 4GB freelancer hard drive and a 40GB everything else hard drive. Bit excessive but at least it's a solution.
    Didn't get to play the game much though, had to go and watch Spurs beat Villa :)
    Excellent sporting weekend IMHO.