freeivew and analogue explanation please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by willie45, Mar 15, 2006.

1. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am a recently joined member of these forums and have found them extremely helpful. There is one thing I am not sure about though, and that is, what having a DVD Recorder with Freeview means for me. I live in an area that can't get freeview and I have sky. If I bought a DVD Recorder with Freeview would it mess up my sky signal or would it just be redundant and mean that I would just ignore it?

Also does the term "digital receiver" simply mean it can receive freeview whereas "analogue receiver" mean it can 't? Is this the only difference between the two?

I keep changing my mind what to buy although I am pretty much going to choose between the new panasonice coming out soon ( E55?) and the pioneer 530hs.

Thanks in advance for your help

Willie

2. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you are genuinely in an area that cannot get freeview then that facility will just be redundant, and will not interfere in any way with your Sky signal.

The term "digital receiver" means exactly as it says, which can be either satellite or terrestrial based Freeview, that is why any reference to something digital should always be qualified by the reception mode.

Try both the reception predictor links below, as they may well come up with differing results.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/coverage.html

edit: regards what to buy, I would purchase the analogue tuner version as they can be quite a bit cheaper, then should your reception situation improve by, or at the big switchover, purchase freeview or Freesat as appropriate to the new situation. (analogue tuners do not respond to any digital signals)

The Wolfbane predictor result should be interpreted more as to what the transmitter sends out, and with the possiblity of you being able to receive part of whats mentioned, which in most cases being MUX 1 & 2. (BBC & ITV).

The DTG result always erring on the site of caution!

3. RAB67

RAB67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I understand that DVD recorders with freeview receivers also have analogue receivers as well.

Without a freeview signal I guess that bit won't do anything. And no it won't mess up your sky

But of you don't get Freeview why would you want a recorder with a Freeview receiver?

4. willie45

willie45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I am a bit confused because it seems to me that an analogue receiver wouldn't pick up sky digital programmes because they are... erm...digital. Am I missing the point? I thought this because the signals come to my digibox.

The reason I would buy one with Freeview is that some of the recorders only come with Freeview, not because I particularly want one.

There was a particular recorder I considered on amazon and it was a sony 710s which it said did not have a digital tuner and so I assumed would not record my sky programmes.

Willie

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,309
    A Sky box, (just like a separate Freeview receiver, in fact) takes an incoming broadcast digital stream and "receives it".

"Receiving it" means, converting it from broadcastable radio-frequency to an analogue video source. Set top boxes then output the received signal as analogue video via (say) a SCART cable. Once it's been output it is a simple standard analogue video signal like any other - a camcorder, for example.

Any DVD recorder will be able to take any analogue video input and record it.

A "digital" recorder will be so called because it has a digital (probably Freeview) tuner in it - meaning that it could "receive" Freeview (i.e. convert from a broadcast to analogue video ready for recording) without help from another external box.

An analogue one will have only an analogue tuner in it, meaning it can "receive" only the traditional transmissions of Ch 1....5 and not Freeview.

If you are coupling a recorder via (say) a SCART cable to an external box (of any type) then the tuner in the recorder is not being used; it is not "receiving" any broadcast for itself - that is being done for it by the accompanying set top box.

Note: The above has been hugely simplified for reasons of explanation. There are minor details which are sometimes not 100% accurate, but please ignore them as they make no practical difference.

You must bear in mind, though, that if you are using your Sky box to receive something for recording, you can't ALSO use it at the same time to receive anything else. Change channels, for example, and your recorder will record whatever you just changed it to. The recorder, in such a setup, is simply recording whatever the Sky box is outputting. It's not adding anything to the process - just being a "slave" to the Sky box. If you only have one Sky box, you can only receive one Sky programme at a time regardless of what you are doing with it.

6. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just to reinforce LV426's detailed explanation, a DVD recorder is either fitted with the standard analogue tuner, or a digital Freeview one.

However when you are going to record from Sky, none of these two facts mentioned actually concerns you, as you will be recording via the DVD recorders AV input scart socket (or phono depending on what country you are in), and when you record from the AV input, it by-passes the tuner irrespective of what type it is.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    ..and just to clear up this point in case somebody is misled... Some do and some don't... so if it matters, check.