• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freecom 350 replacement - help?

bealay

Standard Member
Hi all,
Recognising the tech has moved on by miles since I bought my trusty Freecom 350 with 500gb ide drive about 5 years back, the time is coming when it's starting to let me down; newer audio codecs are not recognised, hd files are sometimes spat back at me unplayed and I think the hd itself may be groaning under the weight of files.
I want to replace it and I need advice please.
Ideally, I want it to have an internal hdd, or have one on top I can plug in via usb (or other faster connect?).
I need to be able to have 1tb drive given how much I have on the disk and cope with new stuff. I've started to have to delet stuff and backup to cd.
Ideally, I need it to have wireless capability to be able to update codecs.
HDMI for vision, my amp is older and surround isn't necessary, so a phone or optical/digital co-ax audio out is sufficient.
Where to start?
Cheers guys and gals,
Ian

next010

Distinguished Member
WDTV Live Hub, 1TB HDD built in, USB ports, HDMI output, most common codecs supported and an easy to use GUI.

If your looking for something that you can supply your own HDD to the Himedia players have lots of features USB3, WiFi, Bluray lite menu support but are a bit rough round the edges.

The DuneTV 301 is a more polished player but less features that takes a 2.5" HDD.

Lastly the new Iomega Boxee players are just coming onto the market, these are HDD equipped versions of the D-Link Boxee Box, a very good player is prioritizing ease of use and looking for the most advanced player GUI wise.

Last edited:

MarkE19

None of your requirements are particularly out of the ordinary, so the choice of player is really going to be down to your budget and any whistles & bells you would like it to have.
Any player that has a HDD supplied is likely to be very costly at the moment due to the floods in Thailand pushing up HDD prices. If you can make do with the HDD you already have for now then you are likely to save a lot of money.
Just about all players will take an external USB HDD and some can have a HDD installed inside them by the user. If you have media on a PC then many can read shared folders from the PC over the network so no local HDD's are needed to store the media.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom