• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Free Wireless Connector to anytime + !

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
hi,

im waiting in the wings to move over to sky BB (mainly for anytime +). this morning i have noticed a number of adverts on sky mainly sky news. advertising that you can get the wireless connector for free! (previously £60)

there are terms that apply heres the link

free wireless connector!:smashin:

Existing Sky TV households without Sky Anytime+ only. Compatible Sky+HD box and Sky Broadband Unlimited required for unlimited usage (Sky network areas only). Sky Broadband Unlimited £7.50 a month with Sky Talk (otherwise £12.50). Upgrade to Sky Movies 1 & 2 required (£16 extra a month). Offer ends 22 May 2011.

tutorial

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
No traffic shaping, no throttling, no FUP, totally unlimited, to name but a few.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
No traffic shaping, no throttling, no FUP, totally unlimited, to name but a few.

downside...faulty sagem router that wont work properly for many many people, and sky are still sending it out to new customers without informing them!

SevloW

Distinguished Member
downside...faulty sagem router that wont work properly for many many people, and sky are still sending it out to new customers without informing them!

I must be lucky - My Sagem works very well, no problem with wireless available around the house. Been rock-solid :confused:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I must be lucky - My Sagem works very well, no problem with wireless available around the house. Been rock-solid :confused:

your very lucky... you visit the official sky forums and i can safely say it is swamped with complaints about the sagem fast 2304 router

link

this is an important issue if it is going to be linking in with the above free wirless connector to download movies etc.

whilst i accept there can be problems with any electrical equipment plus set up issues, there are far too many complaints for it not to be a major issue. only thing putting me of moving over to sky to be honest.

plus lots of new unsuspecting customers are complaining as well

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
... you visit the official sky forums and i can safely say it is swamped with complaints about the sagem fast 2304 router

Forums, notoriously, only concentrate on complaints - how many forums do you know that actually praise the product?

Getting back to the original point, Sky BB is still the best, and cheapest, you will find.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Forums, notoriously, only concentrate on complaints - how many forums do you know that actually praise the product?

Getting back to the original point, Sky BB is still the best, and cheapest, you will find.

obviously this one, avforums is the original and best:D

its not that i dont want to move over, i just dont want to move into a load of problems im on TT LLU getting 19.5 meg..my exchange is also sky LLU and Im an HD subscriber, so it makes sense to move to sky. now without going way off topic. i was sharing this info, because im keen on sky anytime+ (amongst the other benefits you pointed out for BB) and want movies on demand. its a shame they dont let you download direct from a sky BB router, instead of having yet another box sitting on top of my sky hd box! but at least this way its free..for now!

Last edited:

logiciel

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

sky dont let you download anytime + content direct from a sky BB router wirelessly unless you have the connector box. instead of a just having a sky wireless router downloading content to any sky box in the house without the need for a connector box.

hope thats clearer!

Last edited:

Johnbyte

Established Member
It's not so much that Sky won't let you, it's because the Sky box doesn't have any wireless capability. That's what the connector provides. Maybe they'll incorporate wireless capability into future hardware.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
It's not so much that Sky won't let you, it's because the Sky box doesn't have any wireless capability. That's what the connector provides. Maybe they'll incorporate wireless capability into future hardware.

right!!!!! doh !!!:blush: forgot about that element, thanks for pointing that out!

shame really..lets hope future boxes have that capacity!

Last edited:

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I'm always surprised how people can rave about Sky BB because my experience with it was awful, completely unusable between about 7pm and 7am, and the router (and I was lucky to have the Netgear DG983, or whatever the Netgear that looks like a Sky box is called), was pretty pants.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
...my experience with it was awful, completely unusable between about 7pm and 7am, and the router (and I was lucky to have the Netgear DG983, or whatever the Netgear that looks like a Sky box is called), was pretty pants.

You were probably on Sky Connect, which is rubbish. Sky LLU is very good,

Restorer

Prominent Member
You were probably on Sky Connect, which is rubbish. Sky LLU is very good,

Absolutely agree. I don't have the fastest connection (syncs at a little over 8mbps and downloads max out at a consistent 7.1) but it has been completely rock-solid for almost 5 years now - and despite the fact it has always run worryingly hot I still have the original Netgear router. Shame the same can't be said of HD boxes - my 1TB is the first one to reach its first birthday :D.

Truly unlimited with no shaping or FUP all for £7.50 a month. I really don't get why a Sky customer with access to a Sky LLU exchange would even consider paying another provider :confused: - though I understand these days it is quite a big deal swapping LLU suppliers?

logiciel

hope thats clearer!
Yes it is thanks.
"they dont let you download direct from a sky BB router"
reads differently to me from
"sky dont let you download anytime + content direct from a sky BB router wirelessly". ;)

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Absolutely agree. I don't have the fastest connection (syncs at a little over 8mbps and downloads max out at a consistent 7.1) but it has been completely rock-solid for almost 5 years now - and despite the fact it has always run worryingly hot I still have the original Netgear router. Shame the same can't be said of HD boxes - my 1TB is the first one to reach its first birthday :D.

Truly unlimited with no shaping or FUP all for £7.50 a month. I really don't get why a Sky customer with access to a Sky LLU exchange would even consider paying another provider :confused: - though I understand these days it is quite a big deal swapping LLU suppliers?

You can lead a horse to water, but ...............

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
I was on the Unlimited version, whatever they called it back in 2009, I was suckered in by free line rental for 12months. I got 7mb download during the day, but come 7pm I couldn't even watch 240p Youtube videos.

I'll stick to my 15mb BT broadband that doesn't slow down even at peak times. I guess it depends on the area you live, because my experience with Sky LLU was terrible.

Restorer

Prominent Member
I was on the Unlimited version, whatever they called it back in 2009, I was suckered in by free line rental for 12months. I got 7mb download during the day, but come 7pm I couldn't even watch 240p Youtube videos.

If you were really on Unlimited (Max as was) then you are the only person on the planet whom Sky has chosen to throttle :D. You must be a very unlucky person to win that draw.

Wonder why you never complained at the time :confused:. Last time I looked BT were charging almost 4 times what Sky do and I'm pretty sure their idea of unlimited is not quite the same ;).

btw line speed is determined mainly on distance from the exchange and not whose LLU equipment you are connected to. How much were you paying for this poor service from Sky? If it was £17 then it was Connect and not the LLU service we were discussing - which was £10 in 2009.

Last edited:

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
It was probably contention on the exchange but it would always kick in around 7pm give or take a few minutes and only started 2 months after my activation, complaining did nothing and I just stuck it out for 10months waiting until I could leave. The way Sky have treated me over the years I don't want to give them anything more than my TV sub. It took about 2 hours of phone calls to get £11.50 they overcharged me one month (the free line rental discount was not given) and I was called a liar numerous times. Eventually they sent a letter apologising for overcharging me :mad:

I paid £5 for Sky BB, but I think that included a £5 discount for having Talk (The phone service was fine). I pay £14 for BT Option 3 (I am a good negotiator), but BT made a mistake with the monthly discounts and I've actually paid only £10 :D

I know some people have poor experience of BT, but mine is flawless. Some people have great experience of Sky, mine was not. You can't make sweeping claims about 'X broadband is great' because a variety of factors can give varied results.

kingnesh

Standard Member
I moved away from the Sky 'Unlimited' Broadband which was £7.50 a month (plus your line rental) as someone mentioned above it kept slowing to near unusable levels in the evenings. I would have though this would be due to the number of users on line in the area and thus Sky having to control their bandwidth inline with what they lease.
I must admit that I do live a reasonable distance from the exchange and looking on a number of sites it seemed that Virgin were quickest. I didnt want to switch to Virgin, so looked at BT but it was too costly, however on the various speed monitoring sites it seemed their connection speeds on average were better in my area.

I monitored my connection numerous times (abbout 30) over 4-5 months with sky and very rarely got above 3.5 meg. I managed to get a deal with O2 and cashback where it will actually save me around £80 over the year if you include the cost of line rental (which you need). Since switching to O2 back in March my connection has generally been around 4.5 meg.

I cant stand how bad the router is with Sky (it had a very poor signal range) and also the poor connection speed along with the poor customer service.

I will have to stick with Sky for my TV though as they have the biggest range of HD channels and the best coverage of sport. i just wish they would sort out their customer service team!

logiciel

The thread has gone way off topic.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom