Free VPN

markcarr

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm looking for a free to use VPN but not an illegal one. I've been told OpenVPN is free source and free to use but I can't set it up. Can anybody help please?

VPN is a protocol that allows you to connect to another network securely over the internet. It's often used for home and off-site workers to connect to their office intranet for example.

OpenVPN is an example of a program that handles things on your end, you put in the details of a VPN server program set up on the network you want to connect to.

Are you talking about the anonymity services that have been lately advertising themselves as 'VPNs'?

They offer to route your traffic through their network before it goes out onto the wider internet so that the person providing the internet connection (ISP, university, wi-fi hotspot owner etc.) can't see the unsecured traffic, and services you connect see the connection originate at their network.

VPN is a protocol that allows you to connect to another network securely over the internet. It's often used for home and off-site workers to connect to their office intranet for example.

OpenVPN is an example of a program that handles things on your end, you put in the details of a VPN server program set up on the network you want to connect to.

Are you talking about the anonymity services that have been lately advertising themselves as 'VPNs'?

They offer to route your traffic through their network before it goes out onto the wider internet so that the person providing the internet connection (ISP, university, wi-fi hotspot owner etc.) can't see the unsecured traffic, and services you connect see the connection originate at their network.
Thanks for the information. I were somehow lead to believe that OpenVPN were a free to use VPN but it makes sence now you have explained it to me.

I need a VPN to use on laptop and desktop PC, which paid for VPN would be the cheapest for an annual subscription and if doesn't have to be esspesially prirate really. It's just so I can get on the sites that I've always used that mine and most peoples ISP's have been made illegal to use anymore. Or is their any VPN's that are free to use even with very limited data?

Opera browser has a free built in VPN. I found it a bit slow but may do what you need, there are also addins for Firefox with free VPNs.

I personally use Private Internet Access. Paid subsciption.

+1 ON PIA, Hotspotshield has a free but limited use function.

Here are the best free VPN services that you can use:
  1. TunnelBear
  2. ProtonVPN Free
  3. Hotspot Shield Free
  4. Speedify
  5. Hide.me

Here are the best free VPN services that you can use:
  1. TunnelBear
  2. ProtonVPN Free
  3. Hotspot Shield Free
  4. Speedify
  5. Hide.me
Welcome to the forums. Is that a list from your experience using them? Are they actually all free? Hide Me for example

Has a review that says “may be expensive but....” and has more paid options than the one that says $0.00 with no clarity what that plan is....

Which one are you using currently? That would be a good recommendation for the OP.

Not being pedantic (but being pedantic) VPN is not a protocol, it is an acronym for a technological method of secure connectivity (primarily used in public network space). VPN's - Virtual Private networks certainly use various network and security protocols to operate, but is not a protocol in itself.

are you after a VPN server or VPN client to conect to a VPN service

OpenVPN is free source and excellent in my opinion

If you want a VPN server I recommend setting up pfSense firewall and then adding the OpenVPN package and configure it.

As for OpenVPN client, all configuration is done via a configuration file. Your VPN provider should provide you with the ovpn file

Welcome to the forums. Is that a list from your experience using them? Are they actually all free? Hide Me for example

Has a review that says “may be expensive but....” and has more paid options than the one that says $0.00 with no clarity what that plan is....

Which one are you using currently? That would be a good recommendation for the OP.

I use ExpressVPN. Most of the time these free VPNs aren't that great because they put a cap on your performance, so that you would upgrade to their paid plans.

Free VPNs won't protect you fully... And in general, you need to be more careful with free VPNs, as they can also spy on you and sell information about you. Therefore, it is better to pay for VPN!

Yes, its always a better choice to go for a paid one than a free one, in fact using a free VPN can cause you more harm than not using one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom