Free View and Sat Faceplate

Mark2260

Novice Member
Hi, my aerial installer is coming Tuesday to install a new aerial and change my sat lnb to the visible wave that's recommended, I got a head start by making two new openings for an ethernet face plate and a combined twin sat and coax.
So I have ordered the ethernet faceplate but I also ordered a a combined face plate for sat and coax, MK K3554DABWHI, this may have been a mistake as I found a review that said you can't have the two sat connections and a coax at the same time, u till it comes I can't confirm this as there's nothing I can find about it.
My question is if it is no good shoul I just buy a triax modular kit with twin sat and a coax?, can any one recommend anything please, I thought it would be straight forward.
Thanks
Mark

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
All combiners and filtered spliters lose signal. Both on UHF TV and SAT frequencies (moreso).

So it is always best to have individual cables for each. In my expert view.

Add in $ky Q uses wideband frequencies that occupy the UHF TV band and you cannot then combine SAT and UHF TV in any case. The same wideband feed is used by the new Arris freesat boxes.

The modular wall plates lend themselves to using double-ended F-sockets to facilitate connection with an adapting fly-lead for the UHF TV plug on one.

Just ensure:
all cables are marked/labelled.
all cables are WF100/PF100/TX100/CT100 all-copper (core, braid, screen) construction.

The old $ky WF65 thin 'shotgun' cable is not really suitable for the wideband signals unless very, very short.
(WF100 is available in shotgun form. The cable diameter is the give-away).

Mark2260

Novice Member
Hi, yes that was the plan, I'm hoping the mk plate will do that otherwise its a modular one, aerial bloke is using rg6 for aerial installation ally foil job, he says I can have wf100 but it's not needed and I would have to pay for a roll.
I will order the triax modular system, it may be the best bet.
Edit:
Okay I see a double sat module f conn front and rear, im assuming that will be fine, now will there coax module be the right one?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
On horseback wearing a stetson?

He's wrong. RG6 is often copper-coated steel and has issues with DC current/volt drop... Coaxial Cable Specifications WF100 CT100 WF65 RG6

You can get better grades but I bet it's the cheap stuff (= bigger profit). Don't let him sell you a contract aerial at the same time (rectangular pressed aluminium plate reflector).

Damp in the cables can cause havoc with CCS RG6 that all copper foam filled will withstand.

Buy a roll of WF100 - or CT100 from Toolstation for him to use. Toolstation also do some Modular plates.

You need very deep back boxes to avoid issues with bending the cables, though. Modular wall plates for TV satellite etc.

Mark2260

Novice Member
Hi Rodders53,
back boxes are 35mm deep, What about Nexans NX100?, my wife works at screwfix so i get discount.
Both sets of cables are going through the gable end and through the loft, one dropping into bedroom and the other into the internal garage and through the wall. Aerial is a Blake XK05
I can get Nexans PF100 as well
Current Sky Q cable is Hengtong HT63
Installer says runs are so short 8m & 15m it wont make any difference whether copper or ally.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Don't trust your installer further than you can throw him. Yes the runs are short, but why spoil the ship? As I suspect maximum profit, least effort. Not very professional.
The three main types of CoAx cable - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials and read the Satcure link I provided earlier.

DC losses to the LNB (and any masthead amplifiers on UHF) are my major concern, along with dissimilar metals corrosion longer term. The plastic foil with metalled film is a none-too-good third screen cf copper foil, also.

Nexans is an unknown company. They answered a question on Screwfix with "Thank you for your enquiry, this cable is double shielded and the conductor is solid stranded copper." whatever that means:confused:.
It possibly is all copper (get swmbo to test a bit of the centre core with a magnet?). Copper clad steel is magnetic copper isn't.

You can't find proper data sheets for the Nexans coax cables on 'tinterweb (unlike the Toolstation stuff). So I cannot recommend it as a brand.

PF100 is Philex/SLX/Labgear and shouldn't be used by Nexans... but it is all-copper if from the Philex group companies. Screwfix used to sell that stuff (I probably have a part reel somewhere and B&Q used to have it by the metre.

DO ensure you are getting a good quality aerial from him: ask for make and model of the proposed one

(Location - postcode of shop, pub, church, school etc.,. within 100m or so of your home and I'll use the prdiction tools to guesstimate what is likely to be required. (Also how many UHF TV outlets you want to have - and if you want FM and/or DAB as well. ) )

Mark2260

Novice Member
Blake XK5 is the aerial, I will get the pf100 fro b&q tomm.
Might just fill the holes in then and run cables straight through.
WN4 9ra location

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Blake XK5 is the aerial,

Not on Justin's list.
Seems Blake recommend it for caravan use (although I doubt it is robust enough for touring caravan use).
{Of course the proposed aerial is only retailing at £21.53 the Blake SR13 is only a little extra (£23.05) and of the same design as ATV's recommended 18 element which is £31+ it even has a tiny tad more gain then the proposed X-element aerial.}

Do you need 11-13 dB gain though?
What does Wolfbane predict? and from what transmitter(s) and are any numbers 'starred' (indicating non-line-of-sight).

Mark2260

Novice Member
Errrr... No idea will look
Winter hill, no stars, log periodic, but no houses around have that type, they all pressed ally or the same as the bk05.
I didn't realize it would be this complicated, if i look to winter hill i cant see it as there are many houses in the way
I did have another installer call but he was twice the price for the same materials.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Number? Take that - add antenna (aerial) gain - subtract 3dB to allow for downlead and termination losses = the signal level at the receiver.

Ideally that should be between 45 and 65 dBuV.

Less = problem reception due to lack of signal
More = possibility of overload and problem reception

Blake describe the XK05 aerial very similarly to the DMX which is I believe what Justin refers to as his XB range. So it may not be as bad as I first suspected. I'd still opt for the SuperBeam 13 yagi over the X variety though ;)

Best wishes for a successful installation.

Mark2260

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice, too late to order the wf100 on amazon so will get the pf100 from b and q in the morning.

winston2010

Not on Justin's list.
Seems Blake recommend it for caravan use (although I doubt it is robust enough for touring caravan use).
{Of course the proposed aerial is only retailing at £21.53 the Blake SR13 is only a little extra (£23.05) and of the same design as ATV's recommended 18 element which is £31+ it even has a tiny tad more gain then the proposed X-element aerial.}

Do you need 11-13 dB gain though?
What does Wolfbane predict? and from what transmitter(s) and are any numbers 'starred' (indicating non-line-of-sight).
That is a 7 element aerial not 30. 5 directors, 1 dipole, and 1 reflector. It seems they have counted the elements 4 times and added a couple for good, no bad measure.

winston2010

Buy a roll of WF100 - or CT100 from Toolstation for him to use. Toolstation also do some Modular plates.
CT100 has been obsolete for many years. It was made by one manufacturer, Radex. If Toolstation claim to have it they are either

1. Lying
2. Have very old stock.
3. It is fake.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
N
So Doncaster Cables are marking fake cable then. That is no 3 on my list.
No they sell "satellite cable as CT100" whatever that means ;)
Radex?
Not listed obviously on Companies House or found readily on Google. The 'CT100' term may not be Copyright anyway?

Discovered here Product Certification Scheme (previously Benchmarking Scheme) that the NX100 is CAI Type 100 certified so must be all-copper construction.

Mind, I've never seen Philex PF100A which is also certified, only ever PF100. Go figure.

Mark2260

Novice Member
Hi,
Everything is installed now and works great, the you view box shows 100% in both signal and quality so I will just get a second box as it's pretty much as quick as the sky q.
Interface is easy to understand and I can hide the channels we don't want.
Sky q with the new lnb shows wide and and the picture is as good as before with 90% quality.
Installer wasn't keen on using the Nexans NX100 but as I had a few meters left once installed he asked if I didn't want it, it is a copper core and shielding (checked with magnet).
Anyway Sky will finish in two weeks so I'm getting used to the bt you view box now, thanks for all the input on my posts.

I did see the the PF100A on a website it showed that as copper core with hollow insulation and ally shielding.

Last edited: