1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free vid capture software

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by CodeThief, Aug 5, 2002.

1. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

Anyone use any sort of Vid Capture software?? I want to convert all my old VHS to VCDs but the software I use (at least I hope its the software and not my GF4) moves the image down a bit so you get a black bar at the top of the screen and miss off some of the bottom. Also its ****e quality!!

Dave

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This kind of thing is common with capture software, I have yet to see any glitch free solution. I've got a wintv PVR, it's good up to a point, but you have also to remember the old Hi Fi adage, garbage in, garbage out. The picture on VHS was *&%$ before you tried to capture it, and without some very expensive pro software, it's not really going to get better.

3. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One Ive used with good results and seen recommended is VirtualDub.
    Depending on your cpu speed, it can be best to capture with little compression, and then recompress the file afterwards, probably while you sleep! Virtualdub would allow you to crop any area of the captured file as you recompressed it and even provides filters that could help with noise or colour corrections.
    I havent made vcd's myself but there are plenty of step by step guides (e.g. vcdhelp) to doing it with links to all the relevant software.