Free-to-View and Radio Stations

Matt F

Active Member
Does anyone know whether the free-to-view set top boxes give access to the various digital radio broadcasts (from the BBC and others)?

I haven't heard that they do offer this but, given that you can pick up these stations free using a digital cable/satellite box, I don't see why they shouldn't be available to digital terestrial viewers - maybe there is a technical reason.

Can anyone help please.

Thank you,

Matt.
 

kevenh

Standard Member
From here (a channel list for the soon to be launched DTT service)
"Six BBC radio stations - expected to be music stations 1Xtra and 6 Music, a new comedy and drama station, Radio Five Live, Five Live Sports Extra, and the Asian Network.

Commercial radio stations to be announced. "

Not quite the same as SkyDigital/Digital tuner
 

Matt F

Active Member
Originally posted by kevenh
"Six BBC radio stations - expected to be music stations 1Xtra and 6 Music, a new comedy and drama station, Radio Five Live, Five Live Sports Extra, and the Asian Network.

Commercial radio stations to be announced. "

Not quite the same as SkyDigital/Digital tuner

Typical BBC - illogical and not catering for the majority (who pay the licence fee). I mean, six stations available and you want to cater for as many listeners as possible - uh, what about Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Live and one other - too obvious!

Honestly, they want the masses (10 million of whom are Radio 2 listeners) to convert to Digital TV - being able to receive digital radio must be a good selling point:

Punter: "Great, so I can get Radio 2 in digital quality then?"
BBC: "Uh, no, but there's a great new drama station"!

What are they thinking of.

Matt.
 

MartinImber

Active Member
I'd rather have another TV channel or more bandwidth for existing channels.

I don't want to turn on my TV to listen to the radio!

as to Radio 1 to 4 - they're on FM already - don't want them eating up the picture quality on DTTV!
 

Matt F

Active Member
Originally posted by MartinImber
I don't want to turn on my TV to listen to the radio!

You want a standalone free-to-view box then:clown:

Originally posted by MartinImber
as to Radio 1 to 4 - they're on FM already - don't want them eating up the picture quality on DTTV!

Agreed, but my point was that there is provision for six radio BBC stations on DTTV and the daft b*ggers are putting some obscure stuff on there instead of making the most popular stations available digitally to the masses.

Matt.
 

MartinImber

Active Member
>>You want a standalone free-to-view box then

They're for vcrs


>>Agreed, but my point was that there is provision for six radio >>BBC stations on DTTV and the daft b*ggers are putting some >>obscure stuff on there instead of making the most popular >>stations available digitally to the masses.

I can get R2 via FM in the car - on my receiver or the clock radio, or anyother radio I have.

I would get DAB but the bit rate is too low:(

Keep TV for TV and get DAB sorted out

I prefer ATRAC to MPEG for sound compression anyway!
 

browellm

Active Member
Originally posted by Matt F

Agreed, but my point was that there is provision for six radio BBC stations on DTTV and the daft b*ggers are putting some obscure stuff on there instead of making the most popular stations available digitally to the masses.
.

But isn't this completely the point of making these more obscure stations available here?
99.9% of the population have easy access to 1,2,3 and 4 in "high quality" fm already, so why duplicate the service?
 

Matt F

Active Member
Originally posted by browellm


But isn't this completely the point of making these more obscure stations available here?
99.9% of the population have easy access to 1,2,3 and 4 in "high quality" fm already, so why duplicate the service?

I guess my point is that to get high quality FM you need a decent "hifi" tuner plus a good ariel (not the plasic coated ones that you pin to the wall) OR you simply use your digital TV box (cable or satellite) as I do with my Telewest cable digibox.

So I get great quality radio without having to splash out on a decent tuner and ariel.

I've been looking at changing over to free-to-view digital TV but if I do this I would lose access to the popular BBC radio stations and that is quite off putting.

I'm not saying that the more obscure stuff shouldn't be on there but I reckon that the most popular stations should also be on there. One of the good things about the Beeb is that they do cater for the minority but that shouldn't come at the expense of the majority. I guess there's only so much room though.

Matt.
 

Matt F

Active Member
There was me moaning (ages ago - hence bringing this old thread back to life) and then yesterday I noticed a message on my freeview box saying that if I retuned it I would find Radio Stations 1-4 are now available.

I retuned it and.... there they are. Marvellous!

Matt.
 

tommymuldy

Standard Member
There are a load more at the back end of the channel list like Kerrang, Kiss etc...
 

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom