Free-to-Air satellite on MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Pat Pucker, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Pat Pucker

Pat Pucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is going over old ground a bit, but I've had a good rummage on earlier threads and haven't managed to answer my specific questions, so here goes...
    Due to my intermittant signal problems on Terrestrial Freeview, I'm looking into going down the satelite route on my mce box. As I'm pretty averse to giving old Rupe any money for his Sky monopoly, and the fact that I don't want to be adding stand-alone decoders, I would like to know how to get free-to-air satellite to two tuners in my box. Is it just a case of buying two PCI cards, a dish and some cable, or do I have to start mucking around with CAMS and the like? Also, will I require a "Quad LNB" dish and two wires to run to the tuners, or are there suitable dual satellite tuners out there on PCI (No pci-e fitted)? Are there any significant issues with the approach I want to take?

Any comments appreciated...

Sy

2. Perky

Perky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a FloppyDTV card which works well with Freesat from Sky and my dual LNB on my dish. You will also need a CAM (such as the Dragon CAM) into which you put your freesat card. Freesat card costs around £30 as a one off payment and gives you channel4/5 as well as the rest of the stuff you can get FTA.

I believe you can use 2 FloppyDTV's in the same system as a dual tuner setup - however I have never set this up so can't say from experience!

Scanning and ordering the channels in MCE is a bit of a chore but works well once set up. I have been running this setup for a month with very few issues under Vista MCE.

Check the sticky at the top of the forum for more info on using Sky with MCE :thumbsup:

Cheers

Ceri

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    You will require two wires from your Dual, Quad or even Octo LNB. There are multiplexers that allow you to run two signals over one cable but they are expensive http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=193

If you can live without C4/five & Sky Three then you don't need a card or CAM. You will get all the BBC & ITV channels FTA plus a few others worth watching. Check here what you can receive FTA http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

If you do use an FTV card then it will need to be popped back into a Sky digibox overnight every 6-8 weeks to be re-autorised. This of course means that you need to have a Sky digibox connected to the dish too if you want to avoid fiddling about changing the cable from PC to digibox. I keep a box dedicated to broadcasting to my Sky Gnomes & keep a card in there ready to swap with any that need re-authorising.