1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free to air channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Wil, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had a Sky Digibox for at least two years I am planning to dump Sky seeing as I get to keep the box anyway and won't miss any of the following:

1 The rubbishy programmes. (Boy, do you have to trawl through to find something really worth watching.)

2 The on screen logos which are not good for video projectors. It is worth dumping Sky for this reason alone just to punish them for not listening to customers.

3 The insulting lack of anamorphic widescreen broadcasting.

4 The adverts which are far too frequent.

I'm also miffed because our favourite channel is a thing called EWTN which is on Hotbird 4 (I think.) We had to get a separate dish and box to recieve it because Sky only have a radio version.

When I consider that for the monthly fee I could buy myself a DVD with Dolby 5.1 or even DTS, better picture quality, no adverts interrupting and I get to keep it forever, I simply don't think Sky is worth it any more. On the other hand I am now informed that I can write off for a free to air card but what do you know...NOWHERE can I find a COMPLETE list of just what would be available with a free to air card. I have found a few websites but they all give the main ones which we all know about and then add that there are at least twenty others!

So does anyone have the definitive list?

Mine so far:

BBC 1
    BBC2
    ITV1
    Ch4
    Ch5
    BBC Choice
    BBC Knowledge
    BBC News 24
    ITN News
    CNN
    Sky News
    TCM

Does anyone dispute these? There are supposed to be about 20 more than these as well. Anyone know what they are? Even the list above would be worth dumping Sky for if they are free anyway!

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
  3. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for a clear and swift reply.

I did cancel Sky. When I told them that I had a home cinema and was concerned about burn-ins they didn't argue or go to any great lengths to do a hard-sell-don't-go job on me. To be honest I couldn't fault them. They were clear and honest about free to air. Took me aback a bit. I was expecting hassle!