1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free To Air broadcast sizes?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Nello, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have searched through this forum but not much success finding what I need.....

Am planning to buy a 28"W/S either with IDTV built in or just get a freeview box (or similar). I'm confused about the size that programmes will be broadcast as. If you receive say BBC1 through a digital signal is it in a different ratio to an analogue signal?

basically my question is: if i buy a 28"w/s will i have less of a picture to view on the majority of the tv I watch (standard terrestrial channels (+ Free to Air) - no Sky) than on a 24" 4:3 tv? or will I get mainly widescreen broadcasts if i use a digital receiver?

sorry, new to anything other than channels 1-5 on an old tv and unsure if i think i'll get something i won't for my £1000 :confused:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Actually, you get more W/S broadcasts on the terrestial channels ie the FTA ones, than on the zillions of junk satellite and cable channels, which are often repeats of old programs any way. Personally, I wouldn't go down the IDTV route, though I await a comment from a man I know who thinks otherwise!

3. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW

i'm waiting for that comment as well as that was the other bit I wasn't sure about.......IDTV vs 'Digibox' type of thing (you can tell from the 'type of thing' that I'm not too hot on this stuff!)

we'll wait for further comments.....

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's Martin Imber we need, I seem to remember, I think he's got an IDTV he raves about, and I'm not saying he's wrong. I don't do that as I have a projector, and plasma coming soon, if I'm allowed! So I need an RGB source, and I can't find anyone who can confirm I can get an RGB output from an IDTV. The other factor is price of course. And cheapness of upgrade. I can afford to junk a £100 box every 2 or 3 years if something better comes along, like DD 5:1 broadcasting, etc.

5. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that was one of my concerns, but wouldn't the tv supplier send out software upgrades for the decoder in an IDTV - am i being naive about TV manufacturers?!

can you point me in the direction of a website that'll explain RGB, s-video, component video, progressive scan, etc to me? I think I ought to understand about connectivity of all these different boxes before I spend my money....

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are already on a website that can tell you more than you want to know about connectivity. Have a read of the plasma bit, loads on it there.

Software upgrades yes, possibly. Most do have a concept of after sales service, but digital out to an external amp? You'd be talking real money to get a TV so equipped, and that's not downloadable! Many STB's already have it. All will eventually I should think.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Me:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well I have had some experience of Digital Terrestrial.

OK IDTVs what do you get extra over a seperate box, well 4 main benefits.

1) It is a whole TV, able to receive W/S broadcasts as standard
    2) One remote
    3) Better picture - tuner is connected directly to the main TV Board, and it is a better tuner than say an Ondigital box
    4) RGB Scart saved for DVD

As to updates - Sony haven't been too bad.

Drawbacks
    1) Difficult for taping
    2) Slightly higher capital cost
    3) Tuner upgrades difficult beyond software updates

However get a decent brand IDTV and not a cheap make fitted with an Ondigital box.

Reliability - over 3 years old and ok

However for a projector I'd recommend a decent seperate box, but all have their own issues, either speed, connections, or reliability. But plasma or projector for main TV viewing perhaps the Pace Twin PVR will do what you want.

I have heard of someone who got RGB out of AV1 on a DX30 for a projector so it might work.

Basically I would say if you are buying a new TV get an IDTV, but a box is a good upgrade if you can handle the cabling. And when you buy a new TV with integrated tuner you can put the box on a vcr.

A 28" W/S IDTV will give a full 16x9 picture - in 4x3 mode the picture would be equivalent to 21", however most BBC, ITV, C4, C5 programmes are widescreen (14x9 on analogue - doesn't fit any TV) which diagonally would be about 18-19 inches on a 21" compared to 28" on the W/S.

One other point - with widescreen you must go digital since 14x9 zoomed to fit looks horrible, much better with a proper 16x9 feed.

Personally I wish it was all done on a card basis so could be swapped for a better module.

As to DD 5.1 BBC say no chance - I asked them! Some IDTVs have Toslink and spdif connectors - this output PCM for a receiver - I reckon they would also pass DD 5.1 if it arose.

I now ask this of a German reader, please look on the internet and see if the German Sony IDSTV support DD5.1 bitstream, if they do the equivalent UK IDTTV should do as well.

I think it is all the NX models.

8. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Martin. I think I always thoughht I'd get an IDTV, as I'm a bit retentive about clutter :)

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony NX range

Pace Twin Tuner PVR would be an excellent match. The DTVA is a great little box and the PVR uses two of the same model tuners to provide watch one channel and record another.

Also got digital out - up market so looks like a good projector match

And Pace Digital Text is FAST!!!

And I thought my IDTV (1st generation) had quick text (well faster than using Ceefax)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for that, Martin. The pace is certainly an interseting box from my POV, even though I have NTL, and an SVHS recorder. I've heard Thomson have got similar on the way, but am unable to find any more details,their site is brown and smelly. I'm sure they do a good IDTV as well, but as I say, they are not the least bit retentive on the web, except of info....

11. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand why you'd prefer an integrated box but I've always preferred "separates". The advantage is that they can be kept cooler overall and *ought* to last longer (hah!)

Also, when one bit fails, you get just that bit repaired and (hopefully) carry on using the rest or simply replace the faulty box.

Also, upgrading one piece at a time is cheaper.

Drawback:

Possible incompatibility and difficulty in persuading dealer to demonstrate interconnected system.

Fman