Free standing Monopod

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum but I suspect this is probably the best fit.

Can anyone recommend a self standing monopod suitable for a set of SkyMaster 25x100 binoculars?

I am lucky enough to have a living room looking out over Loch Lomond. The above binoculars are superb for viewing the wildlife but my current Tripod is a bit flimsy and I am struggling to find a suitable alternative. I want something that is sturdy (i.e it won't fall over if knocked by the kids) and preferably a monopod so it uses a small footprint in the Living Room. It doesn't need to be particular mobile as long as I only need to move it a few metres out the way or onto the balcony.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Small footprint means it can be knocked over, anything with three legs is inherently unstable if pushed by a child, even the sturdiest of tripods can be easily pushed over. I have a Manfrotto monopod with pop out legs but it would be useless around kids.

How about something like a Gorillapod with Action Clamp and Arm? Clamp it to the window sill? Maybe there are cheap clones of it? Or maybe copy the idea and do some DIY.

With any movement magnified by the optics you need something that's rock solid.... like an arm to take the binos with a pan-tilt head... then bolt this to the window-frame, or wall - the misses won't like - - - but that avoids footprint - and still allows some tracking of what you see.
You can get "Magic-Arms" that clamp onto something ( e.g. a tree or convenient small dia.. pole.), but they will need something solid indoors and cheap ones don't have great strength. Also they vary -but typically are 14" long and flex in the middle until locked. You have to buy a pan-tilt head separately. Pay about £16. + pan-head about the same, I guess.

Does the window-glass not distort your viewing? - - - as you said "living room" -

Cheers

25 x 100 is a serious magnification bino, methinks.... Great.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom