1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Sky+ Subs

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RichardJ, May 21, 2003.

1. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On the Home Cinema Choice news pages today......

Sky has confirmed with us today that it is currently offering a scheme whereby ‘loyal’ Sky customers can get Sky+ without having to pay the usual Sky+ monthly subscription. To qualify you have to fulfill ALL the following criteria:
    Being a Sky subscriber for more than a year
    Re-locate your existing digibox
    Take a Sky+ box at £199
    Take a second subscription at £15 per month
    Finally, you have to be on the top tier (Sky World) subscription.

Do all this, and Sky+ can be yours subs-free. If you think you fit the bill, try giving Sky’s customer services centre a call.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The offer first came to light last year but only via letter to selected existing subscribers, looks like after probably thousands of calls to SKY's CS who were ignorant of these offers SKY have finally made it official.
    Now the question is since the SKY+ sub can be discarded in this way how can SKY claim the revenue is used for R&D and software upgrades and yet only expect a certain proportion of the user base to fund the whole process?
    Am I bitter?, too right :)

3. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am a 'Loyal' Sky customer who has Sky World Movies, Sky+ and a 2nd Subscription (the latter I've had about a year). I'm not eligible for this offer, not even if I upgrade to the full Sky World. That means that newer subscribers could be getting an upgraded service for less than I'm paying.

Sky would also rather I ended my subscription than give me this offer (and even told me how to go about doing it), and so I am bitterly resentful of this particular policy.

I wasn't very keen on an ongoing Sky+ subscription in the first place and was led to believe that a one off payment would eventually be implemented (as with Tivo), but this never materialised.

David Waters

4. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    how can it be a saving when you have to have another box for £15 and the sub is £10 its £5 more wake up people
    sub=£10
    another box =£15
    makes that £5 more a month

5. zafira

zafira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to add to the confusion , I was aware of the offer but not interested in another sub . I heard about another offer that although avertised on sky site as £199 + 50 install + 10 per mnth if you phone up and ask the install is reduced to only £25 .
    Tried and was given the £25 install , mentioned the fact that other offers were available to loyal customers and that I didn't really want to pay the 10 monthly .Was told that after I had been on the top package for a year ( in august) I would quality for no monthly subsription .

Heres hoping will let you all know in august .

:clap: :clap: :clap:

6. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ishanty - Sky World Movies + Sky Plus + 2nd Sub = 33 + 10 + 15 = £58

Sky World (Top Package) + 2n d Sub (Sky Plus Free) =

7. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ishanty - Sky World Movies + Sky Plus + 2nd Sub = 33 + 10 + 15 = £58

Sky World (Top Package) + 2n d Sub (Sky Plus Free) = 38 + 15 = £53

Saving £5 per month

8. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The above posting is correct. I have no interest in watching Sky Sports at all and so never added it to my package. When I read about the loyalty offer on this very forum a few weeks ago, I rang Sky to add on the Sports channels and it saved me five quid. Mad or what?

Andrew_B

9. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looks like I don't qualify. My mate phoned and was told that he was already on the loyalty scheme. We got our Sky+ boxes last August and got the second subscription for a reduced rate of £5 hence we don't qualify.
    How the hell they can charge £15 for a mirror sub in the first place is beyond me.

10. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pauleylad, you're saving £10, so you're on the loyalty scheme already. A true case of six of one, half a dozen of the other, I think! Paying £5 for the extra sub plus £10 for Sky+ is the same as paying £15 for the extra sub and zilch for Sky+ is it not?

Andrew_B

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well just to put the cat amongst the preverbial pigeons. I am only on Family Pack and I was offered Sky+ £199 plus free install if I took out a mirror subscription @ £15 per month - no and I repeat no £10 Sky+ sub. I didn't take them up on the offer because we have no use for a second box subscription in our house.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Great offer if you have demanding kids :)
    It's amusing (To me anyway) that the final straw that made me cancel movies and sports was the utter cockup that was my SKY+ install direct from SKY. When they finally need to bundle the SKY+ service with the SKYworld package then I'll more than likely go back to the package I had for 9 years and SKY will generate more revenue from me.

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had Sky+ since it came out, this week I received a phone call from Sky asking offering me half price full package for three months if I upgrade from Family Pack, thats £19 instead of £18.50 for me to pay.
    I asked if I would receive the " No Sky+ Subscription " offer and was told they would find out and get back to me. I told them to log my call and asked for operator's name and a reference.
    The answer I received is that Full Package Subscribers who pay for a Mirror Subscription will not be charged for Sky+, in other words they want £53 per month.
    I presently pay £28.50 per month so I'm not interested in their offer.
    I only watch E4 anyway and intended to cancel when E.R. ends next week, I made a BIG ISSUE about the Sky+ subscription being free for some not for others, cancelled my Family Pack subscription from 1st June so that I will only be paying £10 per month for Sky+ Subscription to use with FreeView channels. I asked them to log my reason for doing this.
    I'm using Sky+ and two other satellite boxes for FreeView, plus I have two aerial Freeview boxes connected to a couple of Tivos so I'm not really bothered what Sky do.
    I think more of us Sky+ payers should ring and make a fuss.
    Incidentally, in the last few days I have received SEVEN phone calls from Sky offering me the half-price Full Package ! :rolleyes:

14. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi,
    - I've had Sky+ for 18 months.
    - I still have my original digibox.
    - The original digibox is not connected.
    - I pay for the full package + £10 Sky+ subscription.

So, I phoned Sky and asked if I could take out the mirror subscription for £15 and have the £10 Sky+ fee waived.

What a chaotic situation this is?

I spoke to 5 different people. 2 said yes, 3 said no.
    The ones that said 'no' could offer no explaination for their refusal. The ones that said yes, passed me through to the installation department to arrange installation.... exept the installation dept then said 'No'. So I got absolutely nowhere!

'Write in to us', they said! Why should I have to do that?

In addtion to a lack of internal communication, it seams nobody is empowered to make a decision and stamp their authority on it.
    Its rattled my cage sufficielntly to consider freeview instead!

Jules

15. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with the above, I telephoned three or four times and also had an extended e-mail conversation and got nowhere. They even told me how to cancel my subscription rather than give anything away!

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    here is a problem!!! I want the sky + box to go in the room where my second sub will be, but the sky woman told me this wasnt allowed. How can i get around it? Are the connections the same, so can i just swap boxes once they are gone?

thanks

Ad

17. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The thing is Sky+ needs two feeds from the LNB so you need the 2 cables to go to the room where you want Sky+. In any case the installer is going to have to make 2 new cable runs, I don't suppose it'll matter to him that they'll both go to the same place... just tell him what you want when he turns up ;)

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and even if he is really an idiot i guess it wouldnt be too hard to rewire it anyhow.

how high will they install, im on the second floor of an old house and it would need a high ladder to get up...... so am i likely to get told to get lost when someone arrives?

ad

19. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IIRC their limit is edit:>>30ft before they charge extra for a "special heights" team which you need to book in advance.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The sky woman must not know her stuff then...... any idea how much extra thats going to cost?

ad

21. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looks like I've been misinformed too. I checked on the Sky website and it's anything <30ft is standard... thought 12ft was low!

In any case if you want things done properly consider using a local independent: http://www.apsiuk.com/

:)

22. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks RCT, you seem to be helping me alot lately! :D

I should get in as standard, there are 2 floors and then the line would come in a foot above ground because the window is low.

Can i still do the sky deal and get installation from an independent? What are costs like that route (i would look it up myself but the site isnt working correctly at the mo!)

thanks

ad

23. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sky are supporting ( screwing ! ) their independents by making the special offers only available when buying Skyplus+ directly through Sky.
    Check to make sure :)

24. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    buns, looks like you're going to have to use "good old yellow pages" APSI doens't seem to have members across the water.

Ask a few and find out, however as gringottsdirect said, Sky are screwing over thier independent installers. Good luck with it anyway!

(What did you do about your phone in the end?)

:hiya:

25. mavster

mavster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in the last month I've just activated my second sky box and currently paying top wack it seems as I have the full package. So I'm a bit cheesed off to find out that if I'd waited then I could have got the Sky+ subscription for free and that this is not being offered to exist, loyal ( over 3 years ) sky subscribers.

I'm very tempted to drop my package down to the bare minimum registering the reason why I'm doing it to see if I get any phone calls offering me any special deals. Has anyone else tried this and did it work?

Also, for the second box, I simply ran the coax cables (CT100 available from www.letsautomate.com) around my house and then when the Sky guy turned up he was more than happy to connect up the cables as it saved him a shed load of time having to drill holes in walls etc. I simply placed the cables underneath the floor and then ran them out through an air-grate.. no need to drill or anything!

Cheers,

Rick.

26. ajbeech

ajbeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am concerned sky+ was and still is a con. This new "offer" is not much of an offer unless you want / need a mirror sub. And do people really need a mirror sub with sky+ anyway......surely it cannot be a major drag to use the record one channel / watch another facility!

As far as I am concerned, until sky DROP the additional £10 charge for a Sky+ box, then I'll be sticking with my existing box
    and sky world subscription - £38 a month is more than enough to pay for what amounts to a limited number of decent channels padded out with a huge amount of (most American) ****e being pumped into my TV daily.

27. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well for a household where there are multiple members fighting for a tv, its a good offer!

I couldnt get much help from locals so i just talked to sky. So they waived me the installation and will go up to 30 feet as stated and are happy enough to put the new box whereever as long as you make it your primary card box. So all in all its good this far.

rct, I ended with a 7650...... it was free on O2 so i thought why on earth not! Its a bit chunky but i quite like that, too small just gets lost. The color screen is wonderful, makes a monochrome mobile look positively archaic! :D

ad

28. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mavster, when I found out about the 'loyalty offer' I rang them to check that adding in Sky Sports (which I didn't already have) would remove my Sky+ £10 sub fee, and they confirmed that it would do. Check my earlier post. If you have the £38 package and a second subscription, then they should not be charging you the Sky+ fee. Ring 'em up and give 'em hell!

29. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    But if you fall in love with sky+ and decide to get another they will revoke your £10 discount for your first sky+ box and charge you an extra £10 for the second box !!

30. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TWO Sky+ boxes. Mmmm.

Can you explain it to the wife for me?