Free Sky HD boxes at XMAS !!

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Just had a chat with my local satellite shop in town GENUINE SKY DEALER and guess what ?
They have had a mail shot through stating SKY HD boxes will be offered free before xmas to customers ! :eek:
This as really annoyed me as only just paid £299 for the box as many many others have too.
I am sure if there is people willing to complain and maybe get a petition going perhaps we can do something about it you knows.

if this does happen the i'll be first to sign a petition as i'd be extremely :censored: having forked out 300 quid only a few months earlier.

I'm not inclined to believe this as the Sky+ box still has an upfront charge. Who would 'purchase' Sky+ rather than SkyHD if they both were free?? I could believe Sky+ free and SkyHD £199.

This is exactly what happened when $ky Digital forst came out. I was one of the poor mugs who forked otu £300.00 for the standard digi-box. Voila, 6 months later they were giving them away to all and sundry, the only compensation the original purchasers recieved was no increase in the price of the subscriptions for 18 months.

Regards
KH

IF thats true, I'll be signing up..

Does anyone know the answer to this?

f you have sky+ and Sky HD is mulitroom still just £10 extra:confused:

obv. on top of the £10 for HD

WeeJockPooPongMcPlop said:
This is exactly what happened when $ky Digital forst came out. I was one of the poor mugs who forked otu £300.00 for the standard digi-box. Voila, 6 months later they were giving them away to all and sundry, the only compensation the original purchasers recieved was no increase in the price of the subscriptions for 18 months.

Same here, so nothing surprises me.
Any suggestions that Sky wouldn't drop the price so quickly are misguided. They have done it before, they will no doubt do it again.

I have seen some poor posts on here but this one takes some beating.

SKY-HD is still a sought after item so as for giving it away for free i think not, at the very best it may reduce in price slightly come next summer.

Why would they give it away for free as they still charge for new SKY+ boxes :confused: :confused: :confused:

:boring: :boring:

When I had my Skyhd installed the sky engineer said it would be free to them (sky employees) at Xmas, maybe your source had his wires crossed

My sky installer said all sky employee's could receive a HD box now for £99.
As for free box's at xmas, santa is to busy.

I'll sign up if the box is free, no chance while I have to pay for it.

SKY did give away the plain digibox but that was under the threat of free Ondigital boxes and at the time that platform had a full lineup of PAY and free channels. There is nothing out there that can compete with SKY+ HD in terms of content and the TVDrive as good as it is has a limited market.

Not only that giving away the digibox was the prime reason even with an ever increasing subscriber base BSKYB went into the red for 5 years and hit nearly £2 Billion in debt.
They can not risk that again:)

A little marketing at xmas perhaps but a free SKY+ HD which would wipe out profits for two years from a SKYworld subscriber, well that just doesn't make any sense.

if someone can a hold of that mailshot and put it on here
i bet things will change a bit quicker !

thats if it exists

As much as I would love to see that, as the £300 is currently preventing me from getting SkyHD, I find this very hard to believe, in 6 months going from £300 to free ain't going to happen. Maybe a significant reduction in price, but they can't even cope with the orders from customers paying £300 at the moment, so there is no logical business reason to reduce the cost of the box.

I think it is unlikely that they would do a free sky hd box at christmas but it would not be financially impossible.

By then they would have sorted out most of the teething problems of the early boxes, increased production and the costs will have fallen to the extenet that I doubt the box costs more than £120 for them to make.

Given this scenario then they would recoup the cost of the box with the first years extra hd subscription and be in pure extra profit in year two with a customer who is far less likely to leave sky or downgrade their package as the pq with other broadcasts would be inferior.

If they tied you down to a two year contract in order to get a free box it might even make commercial sense

Pie in the sky.!

A skyHD for free no chance, sky+ yes I could see that. I would think it would be the second. Sky would have so many problems offering a free hd box. At one stage they could not provide any for people who where paying £300.:eek:

It will not be long before the price of HD boxes come right down or are even free. Christmas is sooner than I would have expected though.

Sky knows full well, like the rest of us, that the vast majority of their customers with SD will not fork out £300 for the HD box when they can already view all the channels; but many of their customers may possibly pay an extra tenner a month for that better picture if the box was free. Lets face it, the HD box won't be costing Sky anything like £300!

Sky reducing the price of the box or even giving it away free is just moving into second gear for them after the initial HD take-up slows down a bit. What Sky are really after is increasing everyones monthly subscription. Flogging you a HD box at £300 was just a bonus for them.

pixelpixel said:
Pie in the sky.!

A skyHD for free no chance, sky+ yes I could see that. I would think it would be the second. Sky would have so many problems offering a free hd box. At one stage they could not provide any for people who where paying £300.:eek:

Most of the supply problems were being put down to a shortage of mpeg 4 decoder chips due to a larger than expected demand being driven by the world cup.

I don't think it will happen but compare the costs if they only offered it to new customers.

On the one hand the cost of the box, on the other hand one years subscription on the full package plus sky hd subscription. Sky would be in profit from that new customer in 6 months max if not 3

johnmcf said:
I have seen some poor posts on here but this one takes some beating.

SKY-HD is still a sought after item so as for giving it away for free i think not, at the very best it may reduce in price slightly come next summer.

Why would they give it away for free as they still charge for new SKY+ boxes :confused: :confused: :confused:

:boring: :boring:

I totally agree....just doesn't make any sense whatsoever...i'd like to know where this rumour came from!!!!

I guarantee sky+ will be free at Christmas but HD? No chance, HD is sky’s premium product and there is no chance of even a reduction for a long time yet. There may be the odd offer when up take is slow but it wont last.

They could always offer it without a HDD (for example, it could replace Sky box standard digiboxes). Unlikely, not for a few years at least.

Who cares if they are free at Xmas, we had them in May and watched the World Cup/Wimbledon ect!! :)

On a serious note I can't see them being given away yet even Sky+ is not free 5 years on!

About all I can see Sky doing at Christmas, if anything, is maybe dropping the HD sub for those on higher packages.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom