1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free sky+ boxes next year

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by alwyn, Sep 13, 2003.

1. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    At a meeting in the US. Rupert Murdoch stated that satellite digital recorders would have to either be free or very cheap in 2004 in order to get the upper hand on cable companies.he further went on to say that the days of charging for the service(like sky+were over)

2. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There was a thread somewhere here or DVD forums about free Sky+ boxes anything upto a year ago.

If I remember correctly, the general consesus was that it would never happen.

But I was told by a friend about a year ago that Sky would do this by the end of the year.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

But he was mainly talking about the US market where his recent aquisation DirecTV is up against well financed mature digital cable suppliers who can match digital satellite in technology terms.
    Those conditions are not matched in the UK and while the gap between dsat and cable will close (not forgetting dtt) SKY will probably always be the first to introduce new hardware and be able to make money from it.

The speech while interesting has no impact on SKY which his company only has a 37% (maybe 38%) stake in and should not be used to influence a potential purchase of any HD recording system on the market now or in the next few months.

4. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    sky are considering plans now to offer sky+box for£99 with £10 subscription for users below the required £30 per month level.So dont be to sure that free boxes may not be next

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What about users above the required level. £99 with no £10?

6. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No the original idea was £199 no £10 £99 with £10
    I was told this in april this year at the same time as I was told about the £10 suscription being ended in october.You will see my posting april 7th.when I say thet sky are bringing out a new box in april may and the £10 sub being ended

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well I'll welcome SKY+ for £99 and probably die of shock if it's given away under a form of subsidised/package deal any time soon. It would be good news for new customers though but a total stab in the back for the existing 6.70 million subscribers who have standard digiboxes.
    The problem of course is the general public do not know what the gate price is for SKY+ or for that matter standard boxes so it's difficult to judge exactly what is possible or financially practical for SKY. It would do SKY no harm if they sold new digiboxes at cost which would benefit many people who might be interested in a second box or to replace a 5 year old box, by profiting from hardware sales they encourage retailers to charge over the top prices as well. I see no reason why a standard digibox couldn't be sold for £100 or less, £99 for the minibox is outrageous and I've seen it recently from an online retailer at £169!

Can you identify the source of your info, not a name of course but a postition or affiliation with SKY?
    Spot on with October weren't you, nice to see I was doing a decent mystic meg impersonation myself with my post in your April 7th thread:)

8. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just say its a man at the top,I cant say more

9. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,230
    Hi,

On the local radio station in Kent, one of the djs had sky+ put in yesterday, and he said he did not know if he should say, but sky are ending their £10 sub in october. Adds more weight to what people have been hearing.

rai

10. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433