Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

FREE SKY+ box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ceecee, Jan 24, 2003.

1. ceecee

ceecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just contacted a digital satellite company in the Merseyside area to install SKY+ They told me to delay for a couple of months because it is possible the sky+ box will be free by then. Of course still need to pay for installaton, and need to buy top sky package.

Has anyone else heard about this ?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    No but how generous of them to wave away a potential sale:)
    Mind you they will look like fools if SKY do once again screw existing customers/subscribers and a "free" SKY+ is offered but only be direct from SKY and sold on the condition it's fitted by SKY installers and not independents:)

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can not see it happening in the near future myself

I for one would not be happy

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    I cant see this happening either, well I hope not even though I dont own one yet.

I rather buy one then getting it free if it going to put prices up on subscription and the like. If sky start giving these out they be losing money this way crapper services dont you all agree

5. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    CeeCee,

Have you posted this on Digitalspy using the name bigbill. If not that would be two independent people who have been told the same thing

6. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have heard his rumour.
    I was looking to get a new box with and svideo out.
    A guy I was talking to knew about this already, he told me to hang on as soon Sky will be giving them away.

Sky+ box promotion at the moment is due to finish end of Feb.
    It is only logical that a new deal will emerge. Wether or not it includes a free Sky+ box is anyones guess.

Im hanging on, I would NOT be happy paying 250 squids for sompn I could get free in a couple of months.

I believe it WILL happen though.

I sense it in the force. Free Box Sky+ shall all we have.

edit.
    I cannot see services suffering. Perhaps the subscription will go up for the new promotion.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Hmmmm
    I think this is coup by sky as Pace are about to launch their Freeveiw HDDR, no cable PVR on the horizon and TiVo in limbo they could clean up. Existing subs could upgrade or new subs get it for free. This could kill freeveiw and Tivo in one shot, they woulkd then get their 7m subs that they need. Sky+ would dominate the market again and only afew people would stray. If they do this then expect the movie packages to go up with sky broaadcasting 5.1 to the growing number of DD capable homes and cleaning up that way as sky+ is teh only way to get it. Premier+ anybody?

Just a thought no hard evidence at all but if sky dont do this its abit sillly what with all the talk of DVDR HDDR recorders and sony?Tosh TiVo, personallly i hope TiVo lives and grows!!!!!! but sky will do whatever they can to stop that!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    So are you saying you think sky could be giving Sky + out free then?

9. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    HI,

Just been on phone with sky plus explaining I am at the stage of wanting to buy Sky Plus. I then went on to ask about are they going to become free with in the next few month. The chap says Not as he is aware of, so i request to talk to a senior manager or a director if possible. So a Manager came on and he says he can assure me as far as he is aware they no way Sky Plus be free within the next 6 month due to cost. He goes on and say it cost £500 per unit. So i dunno if that is true or not. So I went on and said if I purchase Sky Plus today or in the next few days and it came out free in the next 6 month will you compensate, and yeah you guess the answer was no.

So i just dunno what to do. I for one honestly cant see it becoming free yet. As if it did all subscriptions will go up to cut down the loss of giving away free boxs.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    SLightly off topic but having never had sky i am eleigable for that wotsit discount of £129 but do you think they give me that off Sky+ I dont think they would!
    Sky are are strange, they change there minds and offers a lot, how many people have kicked themselves for paying £300 for an Xbox and now they are £160 with 2 games!!!

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    $ly >>>>>>>>>>>>>> X-box :confused:

12. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    if sky+ became free how would they cope with the demand for the boxes - I don't think Pace would bust a gut to kill off their own "complimentary" system

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just do not think they would upgrade everyone to an already heavily subsidised peice of kit.

If you want a second relatively cheap basic box they are pretty expensive

I can see the possibility of new subscribers paying extra and having the sky+ box instead of the basic one.

The current option of having to have the basic, which you may not want, then buying the sky+ box is ridiculous

No doubt the price of the box will come down, but free, no way

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :rotfl: Amstrad !

15. rdcox

rdcox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got a call from Sky yesterday re Sky+ and their latest offer (to preferred customers, naturally!) is a free 5 week trial of Sky+ and to provide them with feedback at the end. If I decide to take it up after 5 weeks it would cost £149 including installation but would require normal subs of £10 per month for Sky+ plus £15 per month for mirror sub for my original digibox. I'd been wanting one of these for a while so seemed a good opportunity to test out first. I did question them about the subs and whether they would do a lifetime sub for Sky+ but although they said they had many enquiries about this were unsure if it was going to be offered.

16. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    Did you have to have your current box to another room to take up this offer?

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Well the offer sounded good until you realise that subscribers who took up the loyalty offer (£199 plus installation) got the combined SKY+ and mirror sub for £15 a month not the £25 this offer asks for. It soon wipes out the difference between the cost of the hardware and makes SKY more money in the first year.
    I suppose not havign to pay anything in the first 5 weeks and then have it removed if you don't like it for any reason makes up a little for that.

Interesting that SKY want feedback from new subscribers but seem to ignore 1 year + subscribers who have paid in some serious money and put up with ongoing software/series link/hardware teething problems:)

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It must be an upgrade

I asked a while back about a second box and what they wanted for a normal box is shocking

With the loyalty offer 15p/m inc mirror card

Hopefully that isn't just for 1 year

could sky+ customers who bought sky prior to that offer take advantage?

19. digisam

digisam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rdcox is correct but i think you have to be out of contract.:smashin:

20. rdcox

rdcox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They told me that the £15 per month for Sky+ and the mirror sub was for the £299+ install offer and would only last for 1 year. The £149 offer is for a year as well but would cost £15 for mirror sub + £10 for Sky+. I don't think there's much difference in the total cost over a year but its less upfront. The tie in contract is for a year.

21. breezer

breezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got called by sky today, asked if I wanted Sky+ for free for 5 weeks, then an all inclusive one off payment of £249. The only condition was that I must continue to subscribe to the full package, there would be no additional payments for sky+.

When I said not this time the guy changed his tone and said I would only be offered this once. Charming.

They must have a few boxes in the warehouse.

With Sky Mix now on the scene it is very rare that there is a clash of programming that whould warrent a payment of £250.

Breezer

22. therecanbeonly1

therecanbeonly1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would take this up in a heart beat, where's my phone call:(

23. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would take up that offer too.
    But what qualifies the phone call anyway.

I dont get full package, I get all except movies. Would that mean I would not get a call!!.

24. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I'd take this offer too.

Sky only ever phone me to try and sell me extended warranties on my digibox, that I didn't even get from them. Sony digibox was from unbeatable.com for £120+VAT; no I do not need a five year extended warranty on a three year old piece of kit thank you.

Perhaps it's because I don't buy either movies or sport from them.

StooMonster

25. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to phone sky today on a different issue

but i did mention this offer as I was none too pleased that a deal for sky+ was been offered without the subscription charges

they claimed no current deal exists for sky+ without a subscription fee and nor have they any plans to offer such a deal. They also claimed there was absolutely no chance the sky+ box would be available free of charge as it is already heavily subsidised which is why the subsciption fee exists

However, they have been known to talk crap

26. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have not been offered this deal but I have seen it mentioned in several places including this forum and digitalspy surely there is not a conspiracy of people making up a rumour........so I reckon as per usual .......Ruperts lot were talking crap and feeling a bit red faced!:eek:

27. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    perhaps they are trying out a few different options to see if any are more effective in attracting customers?

28. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,885
    sky phoned last night but i was at work and my wife took the call and they were offering some sort of sky+ package,the guy is phoning back tonight so i will let you all know what it is about.

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

That's quite true, but it's not so easy to know if CS are talking from ignorance or because of SKY policy.

I have seen the offer in writing that gives you the SKY+ subscription "free" if you are a SKYworld/mirror subscriber and there are people who took up that offer.

30. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,885
    Just got off the phone with sky+ and he offered me the box for 5 weeks free then he said after this he would call me back to see if i want to keep it or buy it.......he didnt mention how much for???anyone know for sure,i will see what its like then decide,anyone here use sky+ and is it any good????a link to a spec site may help me,cheers