free Sharp BD-HP20H-keep it or wait or go PS3?

rkb

my LG 50" plasma died last week, so picked up Sharp 46 LCD with free Sharp Blu-ray player.

I already have hidef via SkyHD and HD DVD with Toshiba XE1 and E1.
Sharp player is still sealed as i have no Blu-ray discs yet, but on reading various thread have come across issues with profile 1.0 and 1.1 and 2.0.

Can those Bluray experts out there guide me- should I keep the Sharp, or sell it on and wait for newer profiles or pick up a PS3? If you were about to get into Blu-ray now for the first time, what would you do?

I don't mind which format eventually may win, but i want to avoid an older profile if that might cause compatibilty problems playing newer discs- or maybe I have misunderstood this whole issue?
Thankyou

rkb

MarkTaylor

Personally I'd say that if you already have HD DVD then you may as well sell the Sharp Blu-Ray and wait a while as whatever happens to the formats the odds are the players will get cheaper and better for a while yet.

Issues like region coding on Blu-Ray are likely to get easier to resolve in time as well so unless there are a bunch of movies that you can't get on HD with what you have now I'd sell it.

rkb

thanks Mark

I may just sell it on for now and work on a full HD upgrade for my projector.
There are a few BD titles I'd like such as POTC & Spiderman trilogies plus forthcoming Disney releases, but hard to justify keeping a new player for a small amount of exclusive titles right now.
Cheers

rkb

awink1

Distinguished Member
thanks Mark

I may just sell it on for now and work on a full HD upgrade for my projector.
There are a few BD titles I'd like such as POTC & Spiderman trilogies plus forthcoming Disney releases, but hard to justify keeping a new player for a small amount of exclusive titles right now.
Cheers

rkb

I personally would go for a PS3 (as I have done I might add). Now I am in the position to not care what format will win as I have the best of both worlds and can play games ::D
If you go for the PS3, get the 40 gig one as the fan is much quieter than the 60 gig one.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Get rid of the sharp,its reviewed in this months what hi-fi,and supposedly you cannot do high-rez audio over hdmi.Glaring omission if you ask me,coz it gets good marks for pic.

tausifs

Get rid of the sharp,its reviewed in this months what hi-fi,and supposedly you cannot do high-rez audio over hdmi.Glaring omission if you ask me,coz it gets good marks for pic.

The Sharp will decode TrueHD to PCM over HDMI I believe, but not bitstream; so not all bad on that front .

There are not many , if any, current UK spec players that will internally decode DTS MA, so not a particular letdown there.

In the end it really does come down to what YOUR particular needs are. One could wait forever in order to future-proof.

If you don't plan on getting or already have a HDMI equipped amp and have 5.1 analog inputs on your current amp (if you have one) then DO NOT get a PS3, because it doesn't have 5.1 analog outs. The Sharp player would suffice perfectly in that regard, so long as you don't want picture - in - picture or networking capabilty. Your needs are the key to the answer, peoples needs differ.

Alternatively , you could sell it and wait for a dual format player.

BTW, I have a Sharp. The fan is completely inaudiable, FWIW.

tical

Standard Member
The Sharp will decode TrueHD to PCM over HDMI I believe, but not bitstream; so not all bad on that front .

There are not many , if any, current UK spec players that will internally decode DTS MA, so not a particular letdown there.

In the end it really does come down to what YOUR particular needs are. One could wait forever in order to future-proof.

If you don't plan on getting or already have a HDMI equipped amp and have 5.1 analog inputs on your current amp (if you have one) then DO NOT get a PS3, because it doesn't have 5.1 analog outs. The Sharp player would suffice perfectly in that regard, so long as you don't want picture - in - picture or networking capabilty. Your needs are the key to the answer, peoples needs differ.

Alternatively , you could sell it and wait for a dual format player.

BTW, I have a Sharp. The fan is completely inaudiable, FWIW.

tausifs, can you confirm if the Sharp can output trueHD or DD+ via the 5.1 analogue outputs?
Thanks!

tausifs

tausifs, can you confirm if the Sharp can output trueHD or DD+ via the 5.1 analogue outputs?
Thanks!

it absolutely does both and also uncompressed lpcm , all over 5.1 analogs. and with the new fw, the analogs sound very good indeed, imo.

BTW, uncompressed lpcm over 5.1 analogs is king.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom