Free sat - sky box no card

michael8626

Novice Member
Hi

I would like to receive freesat (or at least some free channels) via a Sky HD box, I don’t have a viewing card though?

Do I need a viewing card to make this happen please?

I haven’t erected and aligned the dish yet,

Thanks in advance

logiciel

No, though Freeview would be much easier.

michael8626

Novice Member
Thanks, being naive (!) is that freeview (free channels) via the dish and sky hd box?

Do I need a viewing card?

I cannot get freeview through an aerial.

logiciel

Free channels are free and don’t use a card, hence my No. It’s unusual for Freeview not to be available.

logiciel

That’s really bad and needs to be fixed before all the stuff about broadband and so on.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
$ky boxes are notoriously power hungry devices. Especially as they are PVRs and being used as a simple tuner in the 'free' mode. No recording possible!

Unless purchased locally it's likely you'll have the wrong BBC and ITV regions (they remember the ones the last card paired was set for).
BBCs can be found easy enough but ITV is much more difficult, requiring manual 'add channels' solution.

A second hand Humax freesat PVR would be a far better solution if money is tight, to allow use for recording stuff.

I don't recall the Newmarket area as being especially difficult for terrestrial reception, nor especially 'lumpy' in terrain. Village or suburb name would allow more accurate comment. But a decent UHF TV aerial installation isn't especially cheap.

ashenfie

Hi

I would like to receive freesat (or at least some free channels) via a Sky HD box, I don’t have a viewing card though?

Do I need a viewing card to make this happen please?

I haven’t erected and aligned the dish yet,

Thanks in advance
Unless you have a poor internet connect why bother putting a dish up. Simply stream everything.

michael8626

Novice Member
$ky boxes are notoriously power hungry devices. Especially as they are PVRs and being used as a simple tuner in the 'free' mode. No recording possible!

Unless purchased locally it's likely you'll have the wrong BBC and ITV regions (they remember the ones the last card paired was set for).
BBCs can be found easy enough but ITV is much more difficult, requiring manual 'add channels' solution.

A second hand Humax freesat PVR would be a far better solution if money is tight, to allow use for recording stuff.

I don't recall the Newmarket area as being especially difficult for terrestrial reception, nor especially 'lumpy' in terrain. Village or suburb name would allow more accurate comment. But a decent UHF TV aerial installation isn't especially cheap.
CB89WA

We are in range of four transmitters but my actual property is greyed out on the freeview map of all four.

ADSL service is poor also

michael8626

Novice Member
Unless you have a poor internet connect why bother putting a dish up. Simply stream everything.
Thanks
The ADSL is not great, some of the village is fibre, we get about 16mb. 4g blackspot also

We are an equestrian business, we are trying to sort out a tv service for staff living in mobile homes.

ashenfie

Thanks
The ADSL is not great, some of the village is fibre, we get about 16mb. 4g blackspot also

We are an equestrian business, we are trying to sort out a tv service for staff living in mobile homes.
Makes sense, I would get a Sat dish with a multi output LNB (Not sky Q) AND A Manhattan box. Not too expensive and will work fine.

winston2010

Thanks, being naive (!) is that freeview (free channels) via the dish and sky hd box?

Do I need a viewing card?

I cannot get freeview through an aerial.
Freeview is ONLY available through an aerial.
With a dish you can get Freesat via a Freesat box, Sky via a sky box or free to air satellite via almost any satellite box. No card is required but with a sky box you may get the wrong regional news or adverts. Most programmes are the same however.

Forget streaming. It is a load of hassle to use and takes ages to change channels.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
OK while the Freeview professional prediction tool says its green from both Sudbury and Sandy Heath, at 10 metres above the ground. Both are diffracted signals so need care in aerial positioning but nothing any decent installer can't handle.

Sudbury is 18 miles away and 46dBuV at 10 m agl, 42m at 3m (caravan/mobile home height). A quality 18 element aerial should work for one outlet (just). Add a masthead amp and mount on a 'mast'/pole/ taller building it may well be enough to then use in a well designed communal antenna system (with launch amplifiers and taps rather than simple splitters if the cable lengths involved necessitate that approach).

Sandy Heath is further away and weaker predicted strength. So I'd likely discount it. A pro installer with test aerial and meter may have a differing view, though.

One sat dish to multiple mobile homes will have long cable runs and need amplification also? Probably. A dish and LNB on each/shared between a couple (or on a ground mount next to them) will be more likely to work (trees / other buildings permitting).

The best solution and system design all depends on how many units and the spacings between them and other buildings on the site.

NB they'll potentially each require a TV licence Residential landlord - TV Licensing ™ so you should check that out, too.

michael8626

Novice Member
Many thanks for all the replies.

I have fitted a new lab gear lnb, dish is up, showing strong signal on a meter.

Old sky + hd box showing no signal, just permanently saying ‘box is initialising’ is there a problem with the box your should it still show a signal?

Also how critical is it for the lnb being level?

Thanks

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
LNB should be 'wonky' when viewed from the rear - this is the 'skew' to get H/V cross-interference to a minimum.

What meter? Cheap sat finder meters are as useful as a chocolate teapot in my opinion.

Use a phone App to ensure the dish is pointing in the correct direction or follow the Vin Blanc guide for caravanners... The Art of Aiming a Satellite Dish
All too easy to get pointing to Astra 1 (19 degrees East) rather than Astra 2 (28.2 E).

Ideally take the $ky box to a known working dish installation to check it works properly then use it on your dish.

Also what model LNB from Labgear? They do wideband ($KY Q) LNBs that won't work with the $ky HD box.... LNB's Archives - Labgear

ashenfie

Many thanks for all the replies.

I have fitted a new lab gear lnb, dish is up, showing strong signal on a meter.

Old sky + hd box showing no signal, just permanently saying ‘box is initialising’ is there a problem with the box your should it still show a signal?

Also how critical is it for the lnb being level?

Thanks
Signal quality is most important, get that as high as possible

The DishPointer website is able to tell you the amount of 'skew' your LNB requires at your location for any satellite, including 28.2° East ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom