free sat nav?

kokolino23

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Most probably this might had been covered already but I can't find it at the moment.

I'm looking for a free satnav app on iphone4. Any ideas, please?
Google maps is too complicated for my wife... and tomtom expensive.

Another vote for Nav Free from me. Never had any problems with it. And believe all map data is stored as part of the app, so no risk of lots of data consumption if you're on a long journey or something.

This might be another silly question, but if I use the sat nav app, do I need internet data (from my monthly allowance) or the signal is done via GPS ?

Thanks a lot!

This might be another silly question, but if I use the sat nav app, do I need internet data (from my monthly allowance) or the signal is done via GPS ?

Thanks a lot!

Free GPS. I have a second mobile I use purely for sat navigation and it hasn't had any credit for around 2 years.

Just remember if the navigation app has features such as live traffic updates and online search then features such as those will eat into your data allowance.

Over time i've used NavFree, Waze and Skobbler. All worked fine and perfectly usable if you dont want to fork out for one of the big ones. Navfree downloads the maps onto your phone so doesnt need a data signal for basic use, some functions can use it but not a problem if you dont have one, whilst the other two download the maps on the fly so need a data connection but the amount it uses is negligible and not going to eat into any data limits unless you are using it everyday. They also dont need to have a really good 3G connection, i've had it working in areas with not great GPRS or Edge connections as well.

Waze has the added functionality of the social networking part of it in that other users will report jams etc that show up if you are close by which can be useful.

Thank you very much indeed. I've already installed navfree and I'm quite pleased with it. I will try the other 2 though and see which one will suite my wife's taste. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom