1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pikachu, Jan 26, 2005.

1. pikachu

pikachu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anybody no the exact model of the plasma tv scarborough building society are giving away with new morgages, only described as 42 inch sony plasma valued at 3200?

2. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    hehe free how much extra on interest rate is going on to subsidise it. I would check this first and see how long you are tied into agreement, might be cheaper to go somewhere else like nationwide and borrow extra on top to buy what plasma you want.
    Just a thought

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Worthy, and probably correct.

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    they probably have a deal with tiny :)

5. pikachu

pikachu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find it is a good deal if you take the time to look before submiting negative replies..

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are no details on their web site of the model. I think you have to go for the mortgage before you tell them. I should think, with that price quoted, it will be a soon to be outdated model, not the latest. Also, it would be nice to know you have no connection with the Scarborough. We have known similar promotions in the past to be pushed by employees with sales targets.

7. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    I think you will find gooner is offering good advice, maw is agreeing with him, and mine was said tongue in cheek, which if ive offended then sorry

also if it is such a good deal, im sure they would be shouting the make and model?

also would be nice for a link to there offer on there website if you want advice

regards
    jason

8. pikachu

pikachu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi pikachu you wouldnt be the same pikachu from satdudez by any chance?

10. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder what they would say if I tried applying for this mortgage by borrowing, say, a tenner against the value of my house?

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Go forth and multiply !

12. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    According to their terms on the website,the minimum loan amount under the plasma deal is £50,000 - so I would imagine that their reply to your loan application would be choice,to say the least!

13. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I only mention tying in agreements and hiked interest rates because i have just changed my mortgage.
    After revewing quite a few deals on the mortgage (except scarborough I must admit) I found that most that offered cash back or freebies had a slightly higher interest rate, the result is you pay for these in the hiked rate and many you are tied to for 5 years, hence the non free gift then becomes twice as expensive fro you
    I chose Nationwide as they were the better base rate and no tie in, also I took the reduced base rate option and after 2 years when I return to normal base rate I can leave them no penalties or take out another deal with them hopefully below base rate.

Alot of mortgages that offer big gifts such as plasmas DO recuperate the money, All I was suggesting was that if you looked at others you may find you could get a cheaper mortgage and a better plasma.
    Advice you can either take or ignore no skin of my nose and after reading my post again I see no -ve issues just advice
    Up to you m8 and happy viewing whichever you choose.

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    no such thing as a free lunch! :)

15. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, actually no it's not. You probably want to shop around a bit before biting peoples heads off!

The Scarborough mortgage is 5.49% for the forst 2 years and then 6.99%, whereas the Nationwide (first one I looked at) was 5.45% for 2 years (even lower if you have a 10% deposit) and then 5.99%. Thats gonna be a huge difference over the lifetime of a mortgage, and you could easily buy a decent plasma with the change.

Gotta remember, if you get something free with your mortgage, then the lenders are not gonna be paying for it themselves. You pay for every gimmick.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As you are locked in for 6 years, I think you are right, Mike. But hey, we're not financial advisers (or are you) The big Q here is what plasma is it, and is it any good? A couple of the latest Sonys are reasonable if expensive, but their earlier ones failed to impress me.

17. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, I'm not a financial adviser, I just find personal finance quite interesting (as I hate wasting money - the more I save, the more I can spend on AV kit!).
    I'd much rather go for a basic mortgage deal, and spend the money I save on the kit I want rather that a "job lot" of some unknown plasma tv.
    But you are right, the topic is what are the TV's like rather than the mortgage, so I'd guess the answer to be "not all that good". :)

18. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike's right, the Plasma tracker deal reverts to 1.04% above base rate after 1 year, the standard tracker rate for the Scarborough is 0.54%, at todays rates that means your mortgage repayments would be just under 10% higher each month on the plasma deal. Makes for an expensive telly over 25 years?

I'm not a financial adviser, and your level of interest in this thread may go down as well as up.

By the way, according ot the blurb, the details of the plasma are in the info pack you pick up from the building society.

19. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are locked in to a mortgage for 4 years after the deal ends, paying 1% more than a comparable mortgage elsewhere, it will cost you in the region of £2,000 over the period.

So that Sony Plasma is not looking too "free" now.

20. pikachu

pikachu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the remorgage i looked at was the plasma stepped flexible base rate tracker. the first year works out at 4.99% followed by 5.79% or 1.04% above base rate for the remaining four years which is only .49% above best rate alternatives for that lenth of time. this works out at about £20 a month more for the remaining 48 months on my £83000 loan before i can look elsewhere without any penalties. this means i would probably end up paying about £960 more than going elsewhere with a favourible rate which doesn't seem to bad if the tv is any good! by the way found out the model is a sony wega 42" plasma screen Kep42 M1s, are they any good? thanks for all feedback..

21. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was just going to post the model number, but pikachu beat me to it.

I actually don't think it's a bad deal if you're at or near the £50K minimum.

I've applied for £50K over 17 years on 5.49% fixed for 5 years. There are no tie-ins after the 5 years and a quick comparison with other 5 year fixed rates shows that the current best buys are about 4.99%

This equates to me paying £13 a month extra for the screen over the next 5 years. (calculated on MoneyFacts.com)

£13 x 60 = £780 = A lot less than the plasma is worth!

If I've missed something fundamental, then please let me know before I complete, but I think that I'm getting a bargain.