Free pixel check

Fonzerelli

Standard Member
Reaction score
Im about to order 2 cheap projectors, (4800 and PTAE300) and many people are offering free pixel checks, i know they look for dead pixels but what happens if there is one, do they just send it anyway? i thought most companies will only replace a projector under warrenty after so many pixels go?

so whats the score, they do a pixel check and find a stuck pixel, then ship it anyway or do they get you another one out and send that?

BTW do hifibitz do a pixel check?

If it is a true dead pixel check, if it has even one dead pixel, they won't send it to you - you should only recieve a pristine unit. If you recieve it and it does have dead pixels (within a short period of time) they should replace it with a new faultless one (that's their guarantee).

Ask the companies you're interested in for a DETAILED explanation on their dead pixel policy (written/printed if possible - just to make sure before you buy)

Fonzerelli said:
many people are offering free pixel checks,

anyone got a list of who gives a free/£ pixel check?

:censored: jas

jason_one said:
anyone got a list of who gives a free/£ pixel check?
It's unlikely that many dealers offer this service outside of forum sponsors. At least 3 or 4 sponsors here do offer this service (& very welcome it is too :).

:smoke:

Fonzerelli said:
Im about to order 2 cheap projectors, (4800 and PTAE300) and many people are offering free pixel checks, i know they look for dead pixels but what happens if there is one, do they just send it anyway? i thought most companies will only replace a projector under warrenty after so many pixels go?

so whats the score, they do a pixel check and find a stuck pixel, then ship it anyway or do they get you another one out and send that?

BTW do hifibitz do a pixel check?

Sorry, but a little off topic, I am curious why you are buying the 4800 (I assume Screenplay 4800), rather than the Infocus X1, which, from what I have read is pretty much the same, albeit the 4800 has a better remote.

The Screenplay 4800 has different firm ware and is tweaked for home cinema. I think they have calibrated the colour wheel so it helps reduce the artifacts like the extremely apparent Rainbow effect on the X1. Hence the reason that the InFocus X1 is marketed for business applications and not home cinema!

Spasm said:
The Screenplay 4800 has different firm ware and is tweaked for home cinema. I think they have calibrated the colour wheel so it helps reduce the artifacts like the extremely apparent Rainbow effect on the X1. Hence the reason that the InFocus X1 is marketed for business applications and not home cinema!

That's quite interesting, as projectorcentral.com in this article http://www.projectorcentral.com/screenplay_4800.htm suggests they are the same, albeit with tweaks already made to the 4800, but tweaks that could be made to the X1.

I just wish someone somewhere could make buying a projector straightforward :suicide:

So if a dealer who is carrying out a dead pixel check finds one, what does he do with that projector? the dead pixel policies state that the dealers have to inform customers of the possibility of dead pixels appearing over a certain time period due to the manufacturing process, yet they dont consider it a fault.

so what does the dealer do with the dead pixel projectors?

pez

I would imagine they either return them to their supplier for repair or sell them through as 'graded' stock. The point must be a supplier who offers this won't sell you a duff projector which must be good!

I agree that a pixel policy or guarantee is very important when purchasing an LCD projector.

There's nothing worse than an annoying stuck pixel & I've experienced this myself. It was finally resolved but I wouldn't recommend purchasing from anyone who won't offer this service.

Resale values are also dramatically reduced with pixel defects.

:smoke:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom