Free pixel check

Fonzerelli

Standard Member
Im about to order 2 cheap projectors, (4800 and PTAE300) and many people are offering free pixel checks, i know they look for dead pixels but what happens if there is one, do they just send it anyway? i thought most companies will only replace a projector under warrenty after so many pixels go?

so whats the score, they do a pixel check and find a stuck pixel, then ship it anyway or do they get you another one out and send that?

BTW do hifibitz do a pixel check?
 

G a f f e r

Moderator
If it is a true dead pixel check, if it has even one dead pixel, they won't send it to you - you should only recieve a pristine unit. If you recieve it and it does have dead pixels (within a short period of time) they should replace it with a new faultless one (that's their guarantee).

Ask the companies you're interested in for a DETAILED explanation on their dead pixel policy (written/printed if possible - just to make sure before you buy)
 

jason_one

Standard Member
Fonzerelli said:
many people are offering free pixel checks,
anyone got a list of who gives a free/£ pixel check?

:censored: jas
 
K

Kramer

Guest
jason_one said:
anyone got a list of who gives a free/£ pixel check?
It's unlikely that many dealers offer this service outside of forum sponsors. At least 3 or 4 sponsors here do offer this service (& very welcome it is too :).

:smoke:
 

bobbetts

Standard Member
Fonzerelli said:
Im about to order 2 cheap projectors, (4800 and PTAE300) and many people are offering free pixel checks, i know they look for dead pixels but what happens if there is one, do they just send it anyway? i thought most companies will only replace a projector under warrenty after so many pixels go?

so whats the score, they do a pixel check and find a stuck pixel, then ship it anyway or do they get you another one out and send that?

BTW do hifibitz do a pixel check?
Sorry, but a little off topic, I am curious why you are buying the 4800 (I assume Screenplay 4800), rather than the Infocus X1, which, from what I have read is pretty much the same, albeit the 4800 has a better remote.
 
S

Spasm

Guest
The Screenplay 4800 has different firm ware and is tweaked for home cinema. I think they have calibrated the colour wheel so it helps reduce the artifacts like the extremely apparent Rainbow effect on the X1. Hence the reason that the InFocus X1 is marketed for business applications and not home cinema!
 

bobbetts

Standard Member
Spasm said:
The Screenplay 4800 has different firm ware and is tweaked for home cinema. I think they have calibrated the colour wheel so it helps reduce the artifacts like the extremely apparent Rainbow effect on the X1. Hence the reason that the InFocus X1 is marketed for business applications and not home cinema!
That's quite interesting, as projectorcentral.com in this article http://www.projectorcentral.com/screenplay_4800.htm suggests they are the same, albeit with tweaks already made to the 4800, but tweaks that could be made to the X1.

I just wish someone somewhere could make buying a projector straightforward :suicide:
 

pez

Novice Member
So if a dealer who is carrying out a dead pixel check finds one, what does he do with that projector? the dead pixel policies state that the dealers have to inform customers of the possibility of dead pixels appearing over a certain time period due to the manufacturing process, yet they dont consider it a fault.

so what does the dealer do with the dead pixel projectors?

pez
 
K

Kramer

Guest
I agree that a pixel policy or guarantee is very important when purchasing an LCD projector.

There's nothing worse than an annoying stuck pixel & I've experienced this myself. It was finally resolved but I wouldn't recommend purchasing from anyone who won't offer this service.

Resale values are also dramatically reduced with pixel defects.

:smoke:
 
Top Bottom