1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Pay Per View?????

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by the_sanguine, Dec 10, 2004.

1. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There are some people on Ebay offereing the secrets of getting Pay per view sky channels without paying. Has anybody seen them? Are they a con or do they work? Are they legal?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They will work up to your credit limit - once that is exceeded you have to reconnect your box to the system correctly you then get billed for all that you have watched.

Using something which you should have to pay for without paying? You need to ask if you are allowed to do this? It is a breach of contract with Sky. (And is off topic for this forum)

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's a scam. Quite often this involves adding a non-working prefix to the dialout number in the "secret" engineer's menu. Recently quite a few people got a shock when they opened their phone bills, because the scammers had told people to put 123 as the dial-up prefix, and people had been billed for 100's of calls to the speaking clock :laugh:

You can be charged with theft if Sky prove that you deliberately tried to avoid paying for movies.

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    on ebay, if it looks like a con... it generally is. especially if the guy is offering "full resellers rights!"

out of interest, i'd love to know what those "WATCH ALL PREMIERSHIP MATCHES ON YOUR PC EVEN THOSE NOT BROADCAST ON SKY/NTL/TELEWEST!" (yes, because ntl and telewest have dedicated channels for sport don't they...)

all i can think they are is urls for public broadcast tv that is out on the net, certainly no premiership football. anyone got a better clue than me? the only alternative i can think of is the seller has a laptop and a webcam at the grounds of each match ;)

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The thing is - if you are paying someone money for information that will allow you to break the law (and watching Sky when you haven't paid is theft), who are you going to complain to when it doesn't work ? Ebay remove a lot of scams, but I think that making money is a higher priority for Ebay than protecting their customers.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You are correct, there is internet streaming from some broadcasters of Premiership footy. I assume they are legitimate broadcasters but we all know that copyright theft is not just the domain of Joe Public and their p2p software, it's very much an issue when a company doesn't pay for the rights yet broadcast content anyway, that was the reason Bernie E slapped on the F1 logo on the world feeds to make it easier to spot illegal broadcasts.

7. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hang on guys, I didn't say I was seriously considering doing it. I was just interested.

I was inquisitive. I emailed a few people who had bought the info and one of them actually sent me the info. I won't give the details but it involves physically intefering with the wiring of the telephone line. I was wondering how general knowledge it was and if anybody knew whether it would actually work or not.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Don't worry, it's always amusing when someone has done it then ended up with a huge bill at a later date:)

The trick to fool a digibox into allowing PPV ordering without a "real" phone connection is well known and has been around in one form or another for years, it's probably not widely known outside those like us who have interest in SKY and digtial TV and use the net so there could be millions of people who could be conned:(

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not the old 9V battery trick ? :)

It doesn't matter how you stop the box from dialling out (or fool the box to think that it's connected), you can only store about £15 of PPV stuff, and it's stored on the card. After that, no more PPV until the box "phones home". As soon as it does, you're billed for all the stuff on the card.

I suppose you could tell then Sky that the dog has eaten the card, but with so many customers, I expect that they've heard most of it before.

If you want free movies, sign up with Blockbuster for a month's free trial of their unlimited DVD rental. That's risk-free. :)

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Indeed, a scam in several USA states about 10 years ago (GI DigiCipher encryption system) involved selling boxes as hacked when in fact they had a full paid-for subsciption - until the end of the month !
    Add some odd-looking electronics or wires internally that have no effect and they physically look like they've been hacked.
    So Mr USA-mug pays well over the odds 'cos he's seen the box working on all channels in his home - cash only deal in most cases.
    At the beginning of the next month he won't report the seller because he is implicated himself.
    Meanwhile the seller has moved on and is untraceable, selling same scam in another area.

I also like the USA system that sent a message that would only appear on boxes that had a certain (common) illegal hack. The message promised a free T-shirt & told the viewer who to contact with their name/address in order to get it.
    Those who responded were prosecuted but they had to cough up with the t-shirt , of course ; that was insisted on during one of the first court cases .

Chris Muriel, Manchester, UK.