1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREE Pay Per View Channels on SKY DIGITAL - CHIPPED...help on ebay advert.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chrisjoanne, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Firstly....this is not my advert.
    I'm extremely curious to know what this is.
    Anyone on here bought it or know how this works. Its only £3 to find out but would obviously like to know for free.

The advert on ebay reads:

IF YOU HAVE SATELLITE T.V, THEN THIS PURCHASE IS FOR YOU!

FED UP WITH HAVING TO PAY EVERYTIME YOU WANT TO WATCH THE LATEST(PAY&VIEW) MOVIE OR FOOTBALL MATCHES, BOXING, ADULT CHANNELS ETC..?

WELL THIS IS EASILY MADE FREE, JUST "BUY IT NOW" & YOU WILL BE EMAILED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS (IT TAKES 5MINS) TO GET FREE PPV SKY NOW.

YOU WILL SAVE £££ ON YOUR BILLS, & IT'S SO SIMPLE TO DO!

Details
    Item is in step-by-step document format!
    Item will be emailed to you as soon as payment has been recieved!

Questions
    Please contact me via Ebay or email with ANY questions you have regarding to the product. I'll be more than happy to answer them!

Should you have problems with this package I will assist in any way I can but I can not guarantee that it will work for every one, especially those living abroad, but I will always try to help. IT IS ALSO THE BUYER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM SKY OF THEIR ACTIONS.

The line at the bottom which says " IT IS ALSO THE BUYER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM SKY OF THEIR ACTIONS." is interesting.

Well, over to you.....please help.

Chris

I can supply the link if you want but thought I better not post it here as some people may think its my advert.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I recko its a waste of money but ifr you want to give it aago for £3 feel free.... I'm sure sky have already......

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's probably the old disconnect the phone line trick - it'll catch up with you in the end...

4. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How does that work andrew?

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you go thru all the stages of ordering your movie
    then pull the phone lead before the final step

It doesn't work since they upgraded the firmware of all the sky boxes

6. plonky

plonky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Probably the 9v battery trick where it fools the box into thinking the phoneline is in use so doesn't dial. I think it works up to £50 worth of ppv but then you genuinely have to connect the phoneline to get any more. Then, funnily enough, all the 'free' ppv you had gets charged to your bill.

7. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As plonky says ^ - wate of time and well reported as being so..

8. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers, I won't waste my money. The guy who is selling these is making a packet with positive feedback too.....nothing negative.
    At the last count he sold around 35 one day at £2.99 a pop....not bad money.

9. Wavey1975

Wavey1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard a mate had bought from this guy and they end you a hidden code to put in at the secret engineers menu - could that be the only way sky can't find out then ?

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The "secret code" is a dialling prefix which prevents the box from dialling out. It also prevents the box from ordering further PPV events, and as soon as you remove the dialling prefix, the box will tell Sky exactly what to charge you for. It's stored on the box and the card, so you can't get away with it. Plus the fact, of course, that it's theft, and you could get a fine for doing it.

11. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It is as has been said above and basically this is how cable tv works as well.

A techie bit of waffel (sorry)
    The asumption is that with a name like PPV you expect the system to dial out every time you request a film or event. It does'nt.

Every box is loaded with 'credits' and each time you view PPV content it decreases your credits until you reach 0.

Every week/fortnight/month the box is polled (called) to see how many credits have been used and you are billed accordingly. In cable tv land this is done over the coax network and the 'return path' with sky it is the telephone line.

If the return path is not their or of poor quality then the 'poll' can not get though and the up date does not happen.

Many years ago C&W in Manchester were due to launch thier PPV system on the CATV network and set up a resident to be able to demo the system in the real world. It worked fine when the engineers were there but the following day, with all the press on site, nothing, dead as a dodo!

The resident had only used up all the credits over night and the return path had fialed so it could not up date!

12. Wavey1975

Wavey1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted one of these sellers for this on ebay and asked if this was a trick involving disconnecting the phone line from the digibox, etc. and also about the battery and he said his way was nothing to do wit hany of that, but he would not say how his way works because he's trying to make a living selling this method out to the public.

I guess the old addage is true "If it sounds too good to be true, then it is."

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I doubt if he's making a living solely doing that. He's probably selling weed too. :devil:

14. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    probly selling his ass too !!!!

15. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Random question on PPV 'theft'.....

Back in the dim and distant past of my student days a friend got 'caught' with a chipped digibox - ie getting all channels including PPV for free. The company in question (believe it was Telewest) sent lots of threatening letters saying they had to back pay all their useage but my friend being a law graduate looked up case law and reviewed the contract and found that whilst they could disconnect him (and could have made him pay the remaining months left on the contract - he was over 12 months on contract so this didnt apply) they couldnt legally make him pay for the useage he had already had out of it.

I was wondering if anyone new if this 'loop hole' had been closed off or wether they still are limited in what they can do?

16. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    I would have thought that, if they had wanted to bother, the cable company could easily have sued him for piracy under a different act (whether EU or UK law).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

17. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They would only be able to sue under piracy if they actually owned the content.... as an example, if you rent a film from blockbusters and rip it to your hd the copyright owners could sue for piracy but i doubt blockbusters could.

18. jthspace

jthspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One to watch out for - buying a Sky box at a boot fair / ebay etc. You just may get one that has been used with the PPV trick (unplugging phone line / call prefix) and when you match your card and plug it in - WHAM a bill from Uncle Robert.

Jeff

19. Wavey1975

Wavey1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been hearing about something called a 'Dreambox' and how it can be 'configured' to de-crypt any signal - anyone else seen or heard of these ?

It may be something to look into if it means you do not need a viewing card, of course, everyone knows that you should still pay for what you want to watch. :smashin:

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Be careful, you are taking this topic to the limits of the Terms & Conditions of this forum.

21. shacky

shacky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I Bet His Weed Is Snide As Well !!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    "I've been hearing about something called a 'Dreambox' and how it can be 'configured' to de-crypt any signal - anyone else seen or heard of these ?"

Nothing is guaranteed to decrypt ANY signal ; there are forms of encryption that haven't been rolled out yet and others that haven't even been invented . How can a device guarantee to cope with these ?
    There ARE boxes that are not official $ky ones that will work with a legally subscribed $ky card (or a freesat card on freesat channels) along the lines of your post, gievn the appropriate software, firmware or hardware add-ons.

There is no magic potion that does everything.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

23. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    In the days of analogue encryption, there were boxes which could reconstruct scrambled pictures from the video feed, and access to the scrambled pictures was easy because it came out of the video output. Encryption has moved on a lot now that we are in the realms of digital TV. Since the signal is purely a series of 1's and 0's, simple boxes to decrypt are a thing of the past. After Sky lost millions when the original analogue system was hacked, they invested heavily in a robust encryption for the digital service, and there are many extra levels of encryption that Sky could bring in should hacking ever become a problem for Sky.

24. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Theft...

"The dishonest appropriation of property of another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it."

Cant be theft as you cant deprive the other of it permanently, also its not a tangible item ie, electricity which you cant steal so there is a seperate offence of "abtraction of electricity"

Obtainining goods or services by deception....

"A person who by any deception dishonestly obtains services from another shall be guilty of an offence. "

25. BenHill

BenHill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEED to get ebay link re chipped skybox software download

26. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,406
    Well you're NOT going to get it here.

27. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to find it on fleabay either :rotfl:

dodgy post :D

28. andy8ukuk

andy8ukuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Guys is this topic on about the free b|x *ffice and others coz if it is the 9v Batt, only works wiv 12 films so its not really a good thing, unless u want to watch 12 movies free, So i dont think that it really worth your time messing about wiv a 9v batt and abit of phone wire, DO YOU ??,

theres also others that say there hac*s etc,etc but they are just people with lots of time on there hands, - DONT WORK.

29. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Welcome to the forms wiv (with) a nice bit of gravedigging of a thread started in 2004:rotfl:

It is permitted to use the words "Sky", "Box Office" and "hack" without (wivvout:D) fear of them being censored but discussion of the means of receiving subscription channels without payment is not allowed

30. andy8ukuk

andy8ukuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does that guy think this forums & members would av that type of link here:spam::thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:uk:

Regards andy8ukuk,

P.s we dont store link here to give out to every tom/dick & harry, :thumbsdow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.