FREE Oppo and Clones Jailbreak

Confirmed bug

Playback Aquaman, which uses HDR10 menus , and the DV is lackluster. Disable Dolby vision and playback the film with HDR10 and it’s gorgeous.

Stacey Spears mentioned that certain discs that utilized HDR10 and Dolby vision (like Aquaman) would not be able to playback correctly even after a power cycle.
The discussion originates over here.
Post 755

Interesting "development" re: Oppo's DV performance. I have not personally noticed those problems but if I got it right it's all very high end video performance stuff and most likely only visible via test pictures. But on the other hand, I do not even have time to compare HDR10 and DV for fun :D. I just watch the movie when ever I have time.

I haven't even re-tested the jailbreak overlay custom dark theme stuff after my Chinoppo soft bricked (got it easily restored though). Would be interesting to know what went wrong because I followed instructions precisely.

hlindstr, Curious.. as Im working on the Dark Theme myself. I changed some small things.
Im very carefull to not softbrick. I know its easy to do. Especially using Filezilla to ftp into my Oppo. I make sure file permissions is set correctly every time I upload a new edited image_mediacenter.bin file into the bdp folder of the Nand.

I also make sure the edited/new xxx.png files I put back in are the same pixel size and same resolution and color speck as the original xxx.png files.

Wondering what else I would change in the Dark Theme. Im thinking the home screen icons?

What did you change in yours?

The test found that folder.png/gif/jpg can add thumbnails to all files without thumbnails
You can try if you need it

All thumbnails below will use folder.png
a.iso
b.mkv
c.mp4
folder.png

The name of the thumbnail file can be expanded with different name files
All the following file thumbnails will use a123.png
a123.mov
a123x.iso
a123nn.mp4
a123.png

Number of characters = number of expandable characters (without the same name)
4=+2 1234.png -> 1234??.iso
5=+2 12345.png -> 12345??.iso
6=+3 123456.png -> 123456???.iso
7=+3 1234567.png -> 1234567???.iso

Last edited:
Hi,

I am still using the standard firmware on my Oppo 203 and have not installed your JB one yet (many thanks for this and the guide)

1) Currently I can playback bluray/4k disc using folder structure using BD Modifier 2.0 utility which works fine for full disc playback from network share.

2) you can playback from Plex or Emby using DLNA and the phone app (I only tested this in the beginning and worked fine)

3) I use to use scraper to make my media to be compatible with Mediabrowser and Kodi using an application called Meta Browser and this will also allow me to see the thumbnails on my media on the oppo 203, but found this cluttered the folders so left it.

Does the JB firmware allow any tweaks?

1) Network shares is annoying as you cannot map paths, so have to go through the whole menu each time.
2) Is there a way to force DV for MKV or playback of DV within MKV?
3) Can you change the themes (background icons, wall papers etc)
4) Any better way to integrate Plex/Emby into the Oppo with coverart?

Thanks

Hi,

I am still using the standard firmware on my Oppo 203 and have not installed your JB one yet (many thanks for this and the guide)

1) Currently I can playback bluray/4k disc using folder structure using BD Modifier 2.0 utility which works fine for full disc playback from network share.

2) you can playback from Plex or Emby using DLNA and the phone app (I only tested this in the beginning and worked fine)

3) I use to use scraper to make my media to be compatible with Mediabrowser and Kodi using an application called Meta Browser and this will also allow me to see the thumbnails on my media on the oppo 203, but found this cluttered the folders so left it.

Does the JB firmware allow any tweaks?
I woukd suggest reading page 1 post 1:

Yes (Once JB is installed)
1) Network shares is annoying as you cannot map paths, so have to go through the whole menu each time.

Automount NFS shares via AutoScript with JB installed.

2) Is there a way to force DV for MKV or playback of DV within MKV?
No.

3) Can you change the themes (background icons, wall papers etc)
Yes with JB installed. But only home screen wallpapers. Themes are not publicly available to edit.

4) Any better way to integrate Plex/Emby into the Oppo with coverart?

Maybe, try with Vero 4K +.

Hi guys, thanks for your guide for the JB, I did it, and is working well. I was wondering how can I change the home wallpapers?

Hi guys, thanks for your guide for the JB, I did it, and is working well. I was wondering how can I change the home wallpapers?
Congrats! What model and Region Oppo did you JB?

Edit the AutoScript module that changes home screen wallpapers: 9.57 MB file on MEGA

Use same 1080p and same pixel png pictures.

This module is included in the OPPO203-and_Clones_FREE_JAILBREAK_OPPO65-0131_Noactivation-needed RU_CN_V1.0.

I did the RU JB for my Oppo 203 US Region. So far everything is working well. I tried: DVD-Audio, SACD Isos, BR isos, UHD Isos. Also, Network plays from NFS, SMB with NAS.

I'm a 203 owner quite interested in this jailbreak as I'm rapidly running out of shelf space for my film collection which has left me giving consideration to shifting everything to a server (I'd dabbled in doing so in the past, but didn't finish the project as at the time there were no playback solutions that really satisfied me).

Since my collection is a large mix of Region B and Region A purchases I've some questions regarding the jailbreak's BD region coding switching via the BD menu language switch:

1) Will changing the disc menu language selection to trigger the region switch not still then present the menus in that language? e.g, will backups of Region B discs not suddenly display their menus in French?

2) My current UK 203 has an internal board mod inside the unit itself (easily disconnected) to allow for automatic DVD region switching and, via pressing several buttons on the remote, BD region switching. Presumably if I do ever venture to run the jailbreak it would be wise to remove the motherboard mod first?

3) I assume there is no way to easily map a region switch to a remote button(s), like the colour buttons for example, instead of having to go into the Oppo system settings and change the disc menu language every time?

Finally, and this isn't really related to the jailbreak itself, since I'd be backing up my collection from scratch (ideally as a mix of BDMV/ISO backups on titles where I'd like to keep the menus and special features, like Criterion discs, and MKV rips on more basic discs where I might really only want the film file and do away with menus, fib warnings...etc), are there methods to remove the region coding when making MKV/BDMV/ISO files, or any ways to do it via remuxing to ISO?

SceneMissing;

If you backup any of your Blu-rays to ISOs using AnyDVDHD, you can remove the region coding.

If you miss some, and still have Region coding, then using the JB Region switching feature you can easily switch it and depending on the Region youve selected, the BD menue will be in that language. Removing the Region Coding from the beginning fixes any language issues you have.

I havent tested that far in how many languages you can choose from when you do the JB region switch.

I can not answer your question about you Oppo-203 with that multi-region mod chip.

Another user here ask that sane question and I dont recall if they ever JB his unit?

Its probably possible to automate some kind of region switch via AutoScript?

Still, the best method is to remove the region coding. Id use AnyDVDHD to fo All your backing up and remove any region coding and save as ISO.

SceneMissing;

If you backup any of your Blu-rays to ISOs using AnyDVDHD, you can remove the region coding.

If you miss some, and still have Region coding, then using the JB Region switching feature you can easily switch it and depending on the Region youve selected, the BD menue will be in that language. Removing the Region Coding from the beginning fixes any language issues you have.

That's great. Thank you!

I can not answer your question about you Oppo-203 with that multi-region mod chip.

Another user here ask that sane question and I dont recall if they ever JB his unit?

Not a problem. I think to be safe, if I do run the jailbreak, I'll detach the internal region mod. That way I know I'm working from the UK 203 as it would be out of the box.

Its probably possible to automate some kind of region switch via AutoScript?

Perhaps. I was thinking something along the lines of the colour buttons on the remote which are largely useless. Red could be A, Green B and Blue C.

Still, the best method is to remove the region coding. Id use AnyDVDHD to fo All your backing up and remove any region coding and save as ISO.

Definitely. It's great to know that can be done.

Thanks again!

SceneMissing;
Id also grab:
CloneBD (Free ro remux or clone whole decrypted BD). There are CLI command line script codes for the Oppo-203 remote for use with AutoScript. Handy to use if you want a Power ON of your Oppo-203 to 1st run something, like goto to a certain NFS/NAS at start-up.

Moremodey01, would be the one to know if changing Region Code switch another way would be good idea? I suggested removing it altogether but I think its elsewhere in the Oppo BD-ROM firmware. It would be a waste of time I think. Simply backing up BDs via AnyDVDHD removing the region code solves this.

Got my second and last Oppo-203 USA unit today.
Jailbroke it, way easier this time. Using my own instructions on page 1 post 1. Then cloned what mods are one my first unit, onto this new one. Still dont know why Telnet wouldnt let me in to copy the original bdpprog? ohh well. These arent gettin any cheaper to get in such mint condition.
Backed up the NAND of the Original firmware right away.

I even think Oppo Digital removed the USA Store link to buy the Oppo-203/205 replacement remotes.

I just got one in June 2020. Im going to contact then to see if I can buy one more remote.
Just got confirmation from Oppo Digital USA. No more Oppo-203/205 Replacement remotes.
Tech support has suggest: product details pages of OPPO Digital

Nah, I'm good.

The Austrailian Store has them but 79AUD!

Attachments

• IMG_4654.jpg
    IMG_4654.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

I've been following this jailbreak since before this thread was even created and been really impressed with all the work and support by the main players to make it happen, so thanks for all of your efforts.

At the moment I'm mainly interested in using it to switch region for the collection of region A blu-rays I own. As I'm in the UK, and my Oppo is a region B player, when I switch to region A will the player always be set to that region? Or does it reset after the unit is powered off? I don't want to switch the device to region A (menu language English) and then have to switch the menu language to French just to return the device back to region B and be left with persistent French menus. Hope that makes sense?

I know that ripping the discs to region free ISO would help with this, but that's not a path I want go down at the moment (one day perhaps). Right now, I would prefer to just stick the disc in and temporarily set the region if required.

Rasdan;
You want more info on how the JB Regiin switching behaves.

My example:
I switched to French. The menues were in French. But the disc was playable.
It stays in that Region B in the settings. Turning off and then on the Oppo-293/205 may be needed to get Region B to switch on to Region B. Otherwise its not changing untol you go into settings and change it to another Region.

Its been a long time since I did the Region switching as I dont have that ISO anymore.
Easy to get.

Ill let others chime in.

Guys please im total newbie and trying to understand this jailbreak process.

I just got my OPPO 203.

So is this jailbreak process only involving External UB flash drive ?
Like put file into USB and then just instert it into OPPO? And thats it?

Or i need to open my oppo case and do something internally too ?

Im asking this because i have download one ZIP file and there is instruction how to open my oppo and then use MKV tool.

thank you

EDIT

I just saw there is "USB Method only via firmware update within GUI of Oppo 203/205 units"
which require only USB.
If my OPPO is USA verion i just need to download USA_with_Russian_JB file , correct ?

Last edited:

I just got my OPPO 203.

Im asking this because i have download one ZIP file and there is instruction how to open my oppo and then use MKV tool.

thank you
backup nand first before doing anything

I just got my OPPO 203.

thank you
You didnt read page 1 post 1. Please re-read it several times.

I have read first page and D/L all files.
But one file says all i need is USB flash drive and follow instructions.
And seams easy to do it.
Previous files/instructions mention opening player and/or do something with MKV app.

I will check and do nand first (my understanding is that will help in case something go wrong,correct? )

Also my friend is going to purchase OPPO 203 from craigslist with already jailbreak modification.
Modification is 1 year old so im assuming its some Chinese mod.
Would you recommend it ?

marioni888,
Please read carefully the instructions on page 1 post 1. You don't know how many times I've had questions like this. You are to IGNORE the included folder: Manual. You are doing the USB Method, not the UART to USB with the MTKTool method.

Although it would be a wise decision to buy one UART to USB device, incase you ever need to use the MTKTool on a PC to recover an Oppo-203/205 that has been soft bricked.

Buying an Oppo-203/205 from Craigs list? I hope you got a good price and its in mint condition?
Also, check its Firmware, and MAC address and what kind of Jailbreak was used on it?
Does it include its original box and original remote? Can you run the restore to factory defaults on it? And you MUST test the BD-Rrom drive for 4K UHBD discs and 1080p BD Discs.

If everything checks out to be great on that Oppo-203/205 from craigslist and the price is not over $800, then it might be a steal of a deal!

marioni888,
Please read carefully the instructions on page 1 post 1. You don't know how many times I've had questions like this. You are to IGNORE the included folder: Manual. You are doing the USB Method, not the UART to USB with the MTKTool method.

Although it would be a wise decision to buy one UART to USB device, incase you ever need to use the MTKTool on a PC to recover an Oppo-203/205 that has been soft bricked.

Buying an Oppo-203/205 from Craigs list? I hope you got a good price and its in mint condition?
Also, check its Firmware, and MAC address and what kind of Jailbreak was used on it?
Does it include its original box and original remote? Can you run the restore to factory defaults on it? And you MUST test the BD-Rrom drive for 4K UHBD discs and 1080p BD Discs.

If everything checks out to be great on that Oppo-203/205 from craigslist and the price is not over $800, then it might be a steal of a deal!

I paid my OPPO $1100 . Locally, in LA.
Mint condition with everything.
But my friend is going to pay $1200 for his already "modded" OPPO.
I will tell him your suggestions and to be careful !

Anyway, i own two BPD-93 with old original ISO firmware.
They still work flawlessly and play almost everything.
But their old firmware (ISO capable) is becoming very limited to play new formats so thats the reason why i got OPPO 203.

I own over 30 4K movie discs but want my 203 to be able to play ISOs too.

So bottom line is - i need to do nand first (just in case), and then use USB flash method with "USA_with_Russian_JB". ?

thank you

Yes, backup its Nand first. Twice if you really want to. Follow the posts instructions. Its easy.

My 1st Oppo-203 from ebay cost me $963.
My 2nd Oppo-203 from ebay cost me $1200!

So, since that craigslist Oppo-203/205 doesnt have its stock original firmware on it, Id negotiate a lower price. Like $900.

The original Oppo-203/205 replacement remotes are nolonger available from Oppo Digital USA anymore. Take really good care of your Oppo-203.

Just for curiosity, do you recommend doing Nand backup first because jailbreak software is not still fully known and can have issues or because i can mess up something during USB flash upgrade?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom