1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free MP3 download without a virus?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Triggaaar, May 8, 2005.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Are there any MP3 sites that allow you to download a track or 2 for free as a trial or anything?

I'm after an MP3 as a ringtone (don't have it on cd) and the 3 sites I've found on google have all tried to give me a virus.

Cheers

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    download legitimately. 99p or 99c isn't exactly expensive. and you guarantee quality.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, try emusic, a free 50 track download test. it hasnt got the best variety of music though, im into rock/metal/indie/alternative stuff and its useless for that. its very good for jazz though for some reason.

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Although I'm currently going to PC for all of my music, I am still buying CDs for every bit of it. I'm wanting to do it legitimately, but thought there might be somewhere that allows a trial, since I don't want to enter my card details on a site that I don't trust, for 99cents. I don't need quality for this, as I'm after 1 track for my phone, and that's it.

It seems that allofmp3 gives 20cents credit to start, and low rate MP3 is only about 10 cents a track, so that should do. But currently when clicking 'save target as' i'm getting an internet explorer error.

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Right, I'm not signed up (oops, I mean, "I'm NOW signed up") with allofmp3 and emusic, credit card and all. The 1st isn't working, the 2nd doesn't have what I'm after (Europe, The Final Countdown)

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    if you're paying, why not go napster or iTunes?

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    This has proved a lot harder than I expected. I've searched on a bundle of songs at emusic and not found one. All top pop hits. No Eminem at all. Why pay a subscription.

I'm waiting for all the parts to arrive before building my new PC, so I'm on win 98 at the moment, and napster and iTunes won't work with 98 - which is quite rediculous. I can use PayPal, all secure sites, download anything from anywhere - but not an MP3.

allofmp3 has already charged me for 1 of my 2 free downloads, despite not letting me download anything (one of the buttons allowed me to listen to the track, which may be why it's charged me).

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's not ridiculous, it's just because they need later OSes to work with the DRM systems they use. You probably won't get much success at anything until you've upgraded your computer. Ain't technology wonderful? :thumbsdow

9. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I use allofmp3 on a mac with no bother, very cheap and its also (debatably) legal.
    <edit> just out of interest, what track are you after??? </edit>
    Cheers
    Dan

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Well allofmp3 wasn't letting me download, with WIN98 or WINXP, so I installed allofmp3 Explorer, and it's now worked (on WIN 98). One download of an MP3 editor, 15 mins
    of editing, USB to PDA, Bluetooth to mobile, and I finally have a cheesy ringtone (as if Britney was not bad enough) :thumbsup:

It's the final countdown! da da daaa daaa, da da da da daaa

11. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    If I'd have known that was the track you were after I probably wouldn't have been so quick to offer help :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:D
    Dan

12. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    You mean you'd have just emailed it to me? If only I'd known.

If I was after a decent track, I'd have bought the CD, but I couldn't justify spending even £2 on ebay for it.

Now to come up with some alternative electric beauties from the 80s.