Free Movies

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Is what possible?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
AppleTV works on a rental model using iTunes (or purchase from iTunes on a computer and stream it to your ATV), so no.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Jailbreaking allows you to run extra apps or operating system that the ATV wasn't designed to as standard. For example, my ATV1 is jailbroken (or "Hacktivated" as it was known prior to iOS devices), so that I can run XBMC as an app on it. XBMC is a media front end, and the purpose of having it on my ATV is 1) it plays filetypes and extensions that ATV won't natively (.mkv, .avi, dts, etc) 2) it streams directly from a NAS on my network rather than from a computer running iTunes, and 3) lets me build a video library (which the ATV does, but XBMC does it better, visually)

bagersgash

Standard Member
There's probably not a lot of point in me doing it then. I have no idea of file types ect and am not very good with computers. I just thought that somehow you could get free movies if you done it?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
The forum won't permit discussion of getting movies for free that you should pay for (piracy). Threads on the subject will be closed, and have been already.

bagersgash

Standard Member
Oh I see. I got the idea from eBay. Someone is selling jail broken ones and he says that its legal because your sharing or something like that. I guess he's just saying that to sell them.

Oh I see. I got the idea from eBay. Someone is selling jail broken ones and he says that its legal because your sharing or something like that. I guess he's just saying that to sell them.

The eBay seller is talking rubbish. As mentioned, people jailbreak the ATV to be able to view films they have already converted, mostly to the mkv format already, rather than having to re-encode them to a format a non jailbroken ATV natively plays.

bagersgash

Standard Member
Cheers mate, glad I didn't buy one from him! Is it possible to rip 3d films and play them through atv2 if I jail breaked it?

bpsmith

bagersgash said:
Cheers mate, glad I didn't buy one from him! Is it possible to rip 3d films and play them through atv2 if I jail breaked it?

I don't believe the ATV2 is HDMI 1.4 or 3D compatible, sorry fella.

bpsmith

Shame it doesn't do 1080p and HD Audio too?

Then again, Apple doesn't sell any of that or 3D. ;-)

OldSkoO1

Movies are only £2.50 to rent

The selection is quite good and saves a fortune on buying them. We only watch them once, maybe twice.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
What movies are £2.50 to rent? iTunes rentals? No, prices vary; from 99p to £4.49

bpsmith

bagersgash said:
The film I wanted was £4.49, cheaper down blockbusters and on blu ray!

Cheaper when including the fuel and apportioning wear and tear on the car, etc?

bpsmith

Your determined to find cheaper anywhere but Apple! ;-)

Tbh, I agree that it's fairly expensive, but when you really price up the alternatives and their full cost of going to the video shop to get it and again to return and factor in forgetting to go back once in a while, which we all do I guess, then there's not much in the pricing structure. Then factor in the time you spend doing the above also, I would rather just browse from my sofa and watch in seconds.

bagersgash

Standard Member
True, just wish they were a bit cheaper then I would use it more. Do you know if you can get your iTunes library onto ATV 2?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
No, you can only stream from your iTunes library. The ATV2 does not have an internal hard drive like the ATV1 did.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021