free media centre

It's not a 'free edition' it's an unrelated piece of open source software.

I like it thoguh it's a bit slow working around the menus/fast forwarding and it's a bit of a resource hog, won't let me play .ts files in it when I can in other programs.

yeah , i,ve just downloaded it and had a go but deleted it straight away.
oh, well worth a go.:thumbsdow

there's people selling this for a fiver plus P&P on eBay and they even state it's open source!

THere's heeps of these media center lookalikes about. I've tried them all but you can't beat the real thing :D

Actually, I quite like media-portal.. to me it's much more customisable then MCE.. My brother is running both atm on his Elonex Artisan..

The real strength is that since it's open source, and being worked on, more and more features are being added..

It's ability to be completely customised helps, being able to specfy external players for all media types is handy, getting MCE into a state to play everything was getting difficult with my Brothers MCE setup, I installed Media_Portal, and used a combination of Zoom Player, and even VLC at times , and it plays absolutely everything we've thrown at it..

The TV interface seems hardware dependant as well, it's a bit sluggish on my cheap DVB-T card, but much slicker on my brothers DVB-T cards (Top end Hauppage)

Hourses for courses, perhaps I'm missing something obvious that MCE has the Media Portal can't do..

Then again customisation just means more setup at times, a double edged sword..

I agree, I got rid of MCE for mediaportal. It can be a pain to setup sometimes but if you stick with it, it really is very good. The included dvd/video player is pretty pants though, so i use Theatertek with ffdshow. If you disable the TT splash screen its effectively a seemless integration, all controlled with the MCE remote.

As Demon also said, one of the best bits about it is the work that gets done on it. Always being improved and new stuff added, and its all free. Which is nice :)

Thanks avnutter - never heard of mediaportal before you posted this, it looks quite a useful bit of sw, especially being open source - should get a lot of development support over time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom