1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Lawn Mower?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Stellavision, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I ordered a Qualcast Concorde lawn mower and a 10 ft family paddling pool from Argos on Sunday over the internet. Both items showed to be in stock at checkout, but after payment it said the pool was out of stock and that I would only be charged for the mower:confused:

Anyway, I thought there's no point in me paying a fiver postage for a light item which I can easily collect from the store, so cancelled first thing Monday morning.

This afternoon, guess what? A courier turned up at my door, lawn mower in hand:suicide:
    I of course sent him away saying "I cancelled that mate!":lesson:
    Which brings me to the question how long would it before Argos relized that a lawn mower had gone missing if I kept it, asuming my credit card has been refunded?
    Of course I'm an honest chappie and wouldn't do that sort of thing (would you?) but the mind does wonder. They seem to get a good price on eBay!:D

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations on your honesty. I would write, not e mail, to Argos explaining what happened - identifying a flaw in their system and maybe you will get some kind of reward like a voucher

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Possibly never - I used to work for a mail order company and occasionally additional goods would find their way into peoples orders - some people did phone up to say that they had received them but in the 3 years I worked there I never saw a single case where the warehouse had identified the mistake and asked for them to be returned/billed the customer.

When customers did phone then depending on the cost of the item/ collection costs/ profit margines we would either arrange for collection or write the item off as a guesture of goodwill. Got into a debate once with a customer from N Ireland who we had delivered a 3 peice suite to (in a nice pastel purple - 2 sofas and a chair) when they had ordered a 3 peice suit in purple (ie trousers, waistcoat & jacket). Given the above criteria it was better for the company to tell the customer to keep the item than have to collect it and ship it back to the mainland UK (though why she had signed for it god only knows). Unfortuantly the customer didnt want it and so we eventually agreed to pay her an additional £20 for her to dispose of it locally (as she said she didnt want to sell it or give it away) but this was still cheaper for us :D

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I work for Argos, part time of course (still at college)! They are quite possibly the most stupid company, things are forever going missing etc. They would probably never realise!

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have never had any problems before, but this week has opened my eyes a little.
    As well as the on-line blunder, I finished up having a rather long wait at the collection point in the store because there was one person picking all the orders!:rolleyes: