1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Installation? Just cost me £40

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mark88, May 16, 2005.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I ordered SKY+ last week, the £41/month package w/free installation. When I ordered I told the engineer I wanted the dish installed on the chimney, next doors have theirs on their chimney too. The guy came to install it on friday and said he couldn't put it on the chimney because a bush was in the way or something, so a "high team" would have to come out. This is only a regular 2 storey low ceiling house btw.

The came today and said I would have to pay £40 for some extra fixing that's needed to put it on the chimney. Seems a bit strange, looking at next doors their dish is mounted onto the side of the chimney, which to me seems no different than if I was mounted onto the wall of a house.

Now, with my installation which has the exact same chimney as next door, they've put the dish on the back of the chimney hoisted up on a pole. I'm now thinking, have I paid extra to have a fixing I didn't even need?

I was also told that the guy who did the installation doesn't work for SKy but is self employed and SKY sub contract, and he personally has to buy the fixing himself.

I didn't question the £40 charge at the time, but looking back now and after seeing the dish I kinda wish I had asked more questions.

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    They do mention in the small print that extra costs may be incurred for installations dependent upon requirements, iirc chimneys are specifically mentioned?

I think all of the people who do the work are sub-contracted out by SKY.

ALI

3. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without seeing the exact situation it is impossible to comment on whether it needed to be put on the chimney.However, if the dish is above the level of the top of the stack, you may fall foul of local planning regulations. It all depends on your local concil.Secondly, if there was enough line of site, a pole mount should not have been used on a chimney at all. A lashing kit would have been the better option, but again it all depends on the way your house is constructed. Sky do not use lashing kits unless there is at least 1m of roof on each side of the chimney, so if your chimney is on a gable end a lashing kit would not be appropriate. And yes, contractors do charge for extra bracketry, and £40.00 is the going rate.

4. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..seems like a fair price to me.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    When I had Sky installed at my old house I had to have it installed at the rear of the property on a pole to clear the pitch of the roof as we werent allowed to have a dish on the front of the building due to local bylaws. Sky tried to charge about £40 for it back then but I argued the case and managed to get them to drop the charge

6. welshmanwoody

welshmanwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my Brighton flat (top floor, grade III listed as most of them are) required that I install the Sky dish in the loft of the property... And Sky/the installer charged me an extra 60 quid for the privilege...

7. phillem

phillem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can you have a sky dish in the loft ?

8. welshmanwoody

welshmanwoody

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was originally concerned about a dish in the loft but Brighton & Hove County Council don't allow visible dishes. Nor do they allow cable installations to most properties since it interferes with the fascia of the property (for those who don't know Hove, most of the properties can only be painted, for example, in three shades of cream - all previously approved by B&HCC, naturally)...

The Sky installer assured me it would work and it did... signal strength wasn't brilliant but line of sight seemingly triumphed over penetrating a slate roof :)

9. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had Sky+ installed a couple of months ago the chimney lashing kit was only £30 so I'd at least look into that. The subbies also tried to get me to pay a load of other extras which I did but then got refunded from Sky.

Good luck.

10. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Put it this way, If YOU WANT the dish on the chimney, and it doesn't really have to be there, You're gonna pay for it!
    You get free STANDARD Installation, that is the dish pretty much anywhere on the side/front/back of the house that line of sight will allow.
    Look at next doors dish, chances are that it has been there for a while and is drilled on the stack, Sky do not drill chimneys anymore! so to have it there you would have to pay for a lashing kit! Also for the second team to come out!
    If it were me, I would have just said put it on the wall, dealt with it and saved my £40 for down the pub!!!!
    If it HAD to go there then bad luck! but in my experience most chimney mounted dishes really do not need to be there! And yours is????????