Free HIV Home Test Kit.

Derek S-H

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Just ordered one of these from here:

http://www2.chelwest.nhs.uk/freehivtest/

The test takes place in London but the kit can be sent anywhere in England (I'm in Brighton).

I'm not Gay nor have a regular partner, but I think I'd like to know one way or the other. Filling out the online form took less than five minutes.

Mods: if you think this Thread should be elsewhere then feel free to move. I just think that this is a very important topic and wanted to reach the widest possible audience.

Thanks.

Are results hidden from your records doing this? when I went for tests previously the nurse said the GPs put something on your record but some tests remained off your records

I was taken ill whilst in New York last year. I was there for a week with a male friend, seeing the sights and hitting the bars - we are both straight men.

Anyway, we were sharing a 2-bed suite at a hotel. Ambulance was called and 2 paramedics came into the room suspecting ebola, they asked us both all sorts of questions and bungled me into the service elevator and a pleasant ambulance journey through Times Square ensued.

I was offered a free HIV test at the hospital, considering I was handed a bill for $1500 I thought I might as well take whatever they are offering if it's "free". It didn't click until later on why they might have offered me the test. My mate wasn't impressed when they offered him the test :rotfl:

Btw, it wasn't ebola - turned out to be hypothermia, New York in winter - gnarly.

Not for me i've been celebate for the last ten years, i just ordered a liver test for drinking, today through from amazon. :smashin::laugh:

Are results hidden from your records doing this? when I went for tests previously the nurse said the GPs put something on your record but some tests remained off your records

Rori - why don't you contact them and find out, they do have a phone number.

FWIW, the impression I get is that it is an entirely confidential arrangement between you and them, but it is just an impression.

No need to be honest, if the need arises in future will do though, was just a thought as the folks I'd spoken to previously had suggested it could have employment or insurance consequences but I don't know if that ever rang true either to be fair

.... i just ordered a liver test for drinking, today through from amazon. :smashin::laugh:

Forget about home tests if you drink that much you must go to your GP and get a proper blood test. There is a hell of a lot more to worry about than just your liver, like Pancreatitis. If the home test did show anything you would still have to goto your GP for a blood test. I'm also willing to bet people with a damaged liver will pass that home test easily.

I speak as a person who has been in hospital with liver damage and been jaundice.

Well, my home test kit arrived today. It was the mouth swab and offers 90% certainty of an accurate result. A blood sample offers 95% but I hate needles and didn't see the point just for an extra 5%.

It was quick and easy and I posted it back for free today. Should have my result by the end of the week, I hope.

I'm clear!

I had to chase them up by phone as I didn't receive my information e-mail, maybe that process works better if you have a mobile phone (I don't).

Just thought I'd keep you all updated in case anyone was worried for my welfare....:)

I went with the saliva swab - 90% accuracy. Of course, I have no idea if the lab test itself was rigorous or not, they might have got my test results mixed up with someone else!

I've been pretty lucky so far in my life: never broken a bone, never spent a night in hospital, never had any major illnesses and no operations. Not bad for 51 and a cyclist!

I went with the saliva swab - 90% accuracy. Of course, I have no idea if the lab test itself was rigorous or not, they might have got my test results mixed up with someone else!

I've been pretty lucky so far in my life: never broken a bone, never spent a night in hospital, never had any major illnesses and no operations. Not bad for 51 and a cyclist!
You can tell me where to go here but what made you think one day 'I need this test' of all the test kits you could have had, why this one?

90% accuracy on an AIDS test?

That's pretty crap. If I thought there was a possibility I had the disease before taking the test, I'd still think so even if it came back clear!

A proper test will give you much better accuracy.

90% accuracy on an AIDS test?

That's pretty crap. If I thought there was a possibility I had the disease before taking the test, I'd still think so even if it came back clear!

A proper test will give you much better accuracy.

It wasn't an AIDS test, it was an HIV test - there is a difference.

I don't know what constitutes a "proper" test, do you mean 100% accuracy? Even the blood sample option only offered 95%.

There's tonnes of free stuff you can send away for, I don't I bet you don't. It struck me as odd that's all. Maybe it's just me anyway, I'll get my coat.

You can put your coat back!;)

Yes, the free aspect was a pull, but I did it mainly because I saw the promotion for National HIV Testing Week (NHTW) which is run annually during the last week of November.

It was something that I'd wanted to do for some time. My last test was probably nearly 20 years' ago and I've always been proactive about my health rather than just wait for something to happen then deal with it.

If anyone reading this Thread is uncertain or reluctant, then I would say feel the fear but do it anyway! I think it's better to know these things than live with doubt, and you have a responsibility to any sexual partners you might have too.

You can put your coat back!;)

Yes, the free aspect was a pull, but I did it mainly because I saw the promotion for National HIV Testing Week (NHTW) which is run annually during the last week of November.

It was something that I'd wanted to do for some time. My last test was probably nearly 20 years' ago and I've always been proactive about my health rather than just wait for something to happen then deal with it.

If anyone reading this Thread is uncertain or reluctant, then I would say feel the fear but do it anyway! I think it's better to know these things than live with doubt, and you have a responsibility to any sexual partners you might have too.
Top man, thanks for the explanation, I respect your decision.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom