Free Guy 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. Looking forward to seeing this. I'll see if I can rent the Disk sometime soon (Only buy the Disney + subscription every few Months to binge watch)

Aggrajag

I watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it, quite a surprising little gem. Look for all the little gaming in-jokes happening in the backgrounds. I gave it 8/10.

Gambit1977

Good review. No idea why, but I totally hated this film. It had everything I like, but it just felt all wrong to me.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Watched it not know anything about it and it was a great watch with the family. Worth a watch for sure :smashin:

Slinkywizard

I didn't hate it exactly - it rattled along in a fun way - but I'm with you on the "this should be for me but i just can't stop rolling my eyes."
Concur. I was like 'Finally, a movie about gaming where the makers have actually played a videogame' but then also... 'I'm bored'.

FevreDream

Good review. No idea why, but I totally hated this film. It had everything I like, but it just felt all wrong to me.

Yeah same here. Watched this yesterday and thought it was awful.

DarkDogZA

Having watched it recently, I would give it a 6 rather than an 8. I thought it was good in places but parts of it felt a bit underwhelming. Ryan Reynolds really seems to play the same kind of character in a number of movies and potentially over-exposing himself.

Worth watching but I would not rush into it.

IGC

If anyone's interested in the rough concept of the film but done brilliantly take a look at Hardcore Henry with Sharlto Copley.

It's incredibly well done, has a bit of heart, is funny and smart.

Review by Simon Crust

Only other 'gamer' film I can think of which was pants was Gamer with Gerard Butler. It was in Poundland for a reason.

Imagine the Disney money and talent Free Guy had compared to Hardcore Henry?

I think it maybe help to like games to watch films like this but for the love of gawd I hope not or we're all going to streaming hell in a handbasket. The special fried rice of film watching.

1080 jawbreaker

heres a review. This was Sh#te.

wonder if those who hated 6 Underground liked this?
i enjoyed 6 underground. 👍🙃🤦‍♀️

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Watched it on D+ on Saturday-we had a great time. A lot better than we were expecting.

groucho marx

I thought this was OK, worth a watch for sure, I may have enjoyed it more if I was a gamer but last game console I owned was a PlayStation one, thought some of the humour worked and it was an enjoyable 90 odd minutes

terencejames

I enjoyed it while it was on but couldn’t help but think it suffered from comparisons to Ready Player One and TRON, which is more or less the same story.

Coulson

Suspended
Fun movie. I didn't appreciate the dips into male gamer bashing (and I'm not even a gamer lol). But that aside, Reynolds was Reynolds, Comer was excellent and Taika was Taika.

The stream picture is nice and the audio is ok but not very dynamic (even with BEQ) so taking Cas's point on board I wouldn't mind watching this again with the 4k disc. But just like Ready Player One, this really ought to be watched in 3D. Who do we have *** to get a 3D disc released?

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Watched this on D+ 4K DV. Looked dimmer with only few stand HDR moments. HDR looked toned down like Alita Battle Angel. I could be wrong but this is how it looked on both my GZ OLED and ZD9. This one will easily benefit from 3D.

As usual, Disney are not including Atmos on Fox movies on D+. It's just 256 Kbps DD+.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Watched this on D+ 4K DV. Looked dimmer with only few stand HDR moments. HDR looked toned down like Alita Battle Angel. I could be wrong but this is how it looked on both my GZ OLED and ZD9. This one will easily benefit from 3D.

As usual, Disney are not including Atmos on Fox movies on D+. It's just 256 Kbps DD+.

It was Atmos for me.

IMG_3168F6083E9E-1.jpeg

lgans316

Distinguished Member

Jacko007

Absolutely loved this. It was LOL funny so many times and had heart. The whole family enjoyed it. Much preferred over Ready Player One for example which was underwhelming.

Krobar

I watched this on D+ and it was in DD+ Atmos. Don't have the Bluray to compare to but it was a rather good Atmos track in my opinion.

The film was better than I was expecting and the whole family seemed to like it.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Mine just arrived, I'll be watching it tonight and I'm "going in blind" :p

I haven't read any reviews (not even yours yet Cas, sorry!) or even watched the full trailer... Reynolds and Comer were a good enough reason for me... plus a Ducati on one of the posters.

cossie

Utter puerile rubbish, I don't think I would have liked this if I was only twelve years old. Wife and I gave up after 10mins, and we normally like his movies, well the ones for adults. I cannot remember if I've every given up so quickly on a movie before.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung Tizen plans include cloud gaming for smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play racks up 10 million users
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PROMOTED: Which OLED is King? 2021 Shootout at Abbey Road Studios