free firewall for 7

jtfab75

i've tried downloading free zone alarm firewall but it won't install.
any other free firewalls for 7 ?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
is it 100% safe ?
Nothing is 100% safe. However, if you have a hardware firewall in your ADSL/Cable router (to stop external port scanning) and the Windows firewall (to stop downloaded programs connecting out to the Internet) you should be OK. Some ISPs (such as PlusNet) even have a configurable firewall to stop communication on ports known to be dangerous.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
^ what Stiggy said. Coupled with the router firewall, the standard firewall, so far, has given me sterling service with no intrusions of any description.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
The built in firewall with Vista and 7 is perfectly fine. It provides both incoming and outgoing protection.

rooney

if anybody is intrested kaspersky have a free trial of there internet security for windows 7 wich includes a firewall

Windows 7

oioldman

the new firewal is not as intuitive to use as the one zonealarm or others provide, even xp was easier to use - that is reason enough for me to use another as well as or even instead of.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
the new firewal is not as intuitive to use as the one zonealarm or others provide, even xp was easier to use - that is reason enough for me to use another as well as or even instead of.
Really? I'd say it's easy to use and powerful.
See here.

Last edited:

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Beat me to it Stiggy!

Other than turning it on, not sure what other things one needs to do other than accept or reject notifications.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Meh, I'd agree it offers the same as any other firewall out there. But it doesn't offer advanced control like Comodo does. For general user/average joe the built in firewall is perfect. But for fussy people like me, it doesn't offer the kind of control I want.

PS, I'd remove the hotlink to that image before a mod stamps on you :p Use something like Imageshack.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom