Free Digital TV FAQ

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Folks, let's kick off a FAQ for free digital TV in the UK.
Please reply to this thread with your suggestions.

mrbleu

Q. I already have a Sky dish, can I use it for Freesat?

A. Yes, they use the same satellites and you do not need to move the dish.

Q. Will I need to add a new cable for Freesat or can I just use the existing Sky cable?

A. You can just swap the existing coax cable from the old Sky box to the new Freesat one.

Q. I have Sky+ will I be able to simply remove the Sky+ box and install a Freesat PVR when they are available?

A. Yes.

Q. I have a Sky quad LNB with spare connections, can I simply use one of these connections and route a new cable to a Freesat box?

A. Yes.

tonyholbury

Standard Member
Will we ever see the old uk tv (dave, G.O,L,D, etc and V1) on Freesat and perhaps kiss off Rupurt Murdoch and family in the process:thumbsup:

4x4mudplugger

Standard Member
Q. I already have a Sky dish, can I use it for Freesat?

A. Yes, they use the same satellites and you do not need to move the dish.

Q. Will I need to add a new cable for Freesat or can I just use the existing Sky cable?

A. You can just swap the existing coax cable from the old Sky box to the new Freesat one.

Q. I have Sky+ will I be able to simply remove the Sky+ box and install a Freesat PVR when they are available?

A. Yes.

Q. I have a Sky quad LNB with spare connections, can I simply use one of these connections and route a new cable to a Freesat box?

A. Yes.

:hiya: Mr Bleu and all other forum members,

I understand from reading your helpful FAQ's about "Freesat" and that I could run a coax/cable from any one of the three spare outputs available to me in the Quad LNB of my Sky dish however, the said dish is mounted in a very high position at the gable end of our high rise block of apartments and I was hoping if you or any other fellow forum members could advise me if I can use the same cable that goes to my Skybox?

For instance, can this single cable serve both as my feed to my Skybox and the "Freesat" part of my TV? A bit like putting a 2,3,4 + extension adaptor on the end of a 240V cable to run several appliances from a single gang source?

Thank you and regards,:)

tonyholbury

Standard Member
Simple answer is yes, the sky co-ax is suitable but if you only have one cable to play with you will need a switch box to select which device you input because unless you have a feedthrough on either the sky box or the tv you will need the cable plugged into either but not both at the same time.:thumbsup:

logiciel

can this single cable serve both as my feed to my Skybox and the "Freesat" part of my TV? A bit like putting a 2,3,4 + extension adaptor on the end of a 240V cable to run several appliances from a single gang source?
Yes, to the first, if one of the receivers has an output that you can use as a throughput, though only one can use it at a time; and no, to the second, as those power extenders do not, in most cases, have a switch for each socket.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom