free antivrus from microsoft.

There are much better free antivirus programs available than MS crap.
I.e. Avira Antivir, AVG Free,...

I wouldn't heap the praise on AVG to be honest, it's actually pretty crap these days. It's come back with a few false positives for me when trying to install stuff. MSE is apparently quite good for a free scanner.

It's come back with a few false positives for me when trying to install stuff.

Is there an AV that doesn't?
The perfect allround AV program simply doesn't exist.

Agreed, but then to say AVG (itself quite poor compared to others) is much better when MSE has only been out a day is a bit unfair in my opinion. Let's give it a chance rather than just labelling it as rubbish because it says Microsoft on the label.

I'll give it a go. I was using AVG free edition but fancy a change :smashin:

I had to stop using AVG Free as it was hogging the resources and grind my PC to a hault. Switched over to Avast, but didn't realise it was only a trial, so now I'm back to square one and looking for a decent free AV software

I had to stop using AVG Free as it was hogging the resources and grind my PC to a hault. Switched over to Avast, but didn't realise it was only a trial, so now I'm back to square one and looking for a decent free AV software

Avira, really great.
:thumbsup:

avast is free you just have to get a free code from their website.
avast is def better then avg now. avg use to be great but the new versions are just too bloated.

Last edited:
Avira, really great.
:thumbsup:

I find the update on the free Avira is incredibly slow - sometimes takes over a hour!
I did an extended trial of the full Avira and the update is as quick as other paid for AV suites.

I too think AVG has become a bloated mess on my laptop so wanted a change and Comodo now has anti-virus with it's firewall, but that has started telling me theres a virus warning when i'm installing software i know is fine. So i'm now back on the lookout for a new alternative and may well give MS a bash.

I stopped using AVG after constant update errors. Moved over to Avira which I thought was very good although the nag screens annoyed the hell out of me. Been using MSE since the beta and never had a problem with it. Will continue to use it until I do.

This isn't a renamed OneCare (which was crap :p), the actual virus scanning engine is the same one MS's business AV uses (FrontPoint? something like that) which is supposed to be quite good. Might give it a go since the Sophos my university gives out routinely comes bottom of the testing results.

The MS business one is called Forefront (MS Forefront Client Security, when I mouseover it).
When you mis-guessed at "Frontpoint" , I thought of "Foresk*n" as another alternative :D

Chris Muriel.
Working in Boston , Mass but normally ...

I find the update on the free Avira is incredibly slow - sometimes takes over a hour!
I did an extended trial of the full Avira and the update is as quick as other paid for AV suites.

they've had "problems" with the update server for the free version for a while now, blatantly a ploy to get you to buy the premium version

I've been using Avast for years, never had one problem.

And it's free. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

just an update for you guys, i,ve been using mse for a while now and it works a treat.
works well with windows 7 too.:thumbsup:

just an update for you guys, i,ve been using mse for a while now and it works a treat.
works well with windows 7 too.:thumbsup:

Agreed. I much prefer it to AVG Free.

My MS Security Essentials won't update at the mo. :eek:

SE.jpg

avast is still the best easy to use and works really well, i had them all

Norton - a vampire that sucks all the processing power and makes fake virus alerts to keep me for another year,

McAfee- brilliant product but expensive

AVG - simple and great but lately started following Norton's road

Avast- Simple effective however doesnt cover malware so I downloaded a-squared free 4.5, but its a bloody slow scanner,

does anyone know where i can get a good, reliable, free anti-malware & spyware scanner from? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom