Free antiVirus software??

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good free antivirus software please I did have the free Kaspersky one but that seem to have stopped working at the moment using Windows Defender on Windows 7 Thanks

^^ In my opinion, as long as they are still updating the virus definitions (are they?) then that is all you need. I previously used Avast! but decided even that wasn't necessary. I'm on Win10 and 11 on my devices, though. You could use Avast! if the built-in Win7 product you are using is no longer maintained.

I'm not a fan of just running Windows Defender and I use Avast with a paid for Glasswire firewall (has built in malware detection). Glasswire does have a free version which I'd also suggest you run.

For a lot of really technology phobic people who might click on a bad URL, I would say running just windows defender is really dangerous.

Someone who has the smarts to not click on that dangerous URL, sure, run just defender.

You should definitely upgrade to windows 10 or 11. That's a far bigger risk to your data than you think.

There are a lot of bad people out there scanning the web for vulnerable computers and since Win 7 is no longer properly supported, you can be attached very easily.

I use the built in Windows 10 virus protection as the real time protection and run the free version of Malwarebytes about once a week and if I think that there has been some unusual behaviour of my computer.

I also scan all downloaded executable files with Malwarebytes before I run them, whatever the source.

I would also suggest upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 7 has been unsupported fro some time now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom