Free alternative to Boot Camp

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
I need to be able to run the latest version of Internet Explorer but I don't want to use Boot Camp as it's a bit inconvenient restarting just to use one program. Are there any free alternatives (other than trial versions of Parallels and VMWare)?

daroca

Novice Member
I need to be able to run the latest version of Internet Explorer but I don't want to use Boot Camp as it's a bit inconvenient restarting just to use one program. Are there any free alternatives (other than trial versions of Parallels and VMWare)?

Yup... Try Virtualbox, it had most of the functionality of the others, and it's free !

VirtualBox

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
I'm trying to run a browser based poker game (Stan James) and some of its functions require IE. I couldn't get it to work in Safari using the Developer Menu.

I'd forgotten how much of a pain in the arse Windows can be when it wants to.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
Yeah, it's quite good. Boots very quickly. Great if you just want to use a few lite weight programs from time to time. Cheers daroca.

shreddies

You can get a really old version of internet explorer for mac. why do you need to use IE? Just out of interest.

Reason4HipHop

Novice Member
There is also a program called CrossOver which lets you install windows apps on your mac.

Never tried it myself, but seems to work with most windows apps and games

Used to be free but not sure if it still is

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I use both VirtualBox and CrossOver Mac Professional 8....

VirtualBox opens any Windows app, but CrossOver Mac Pro can be limiting.

For example, if you're using Office 2007, CrossOver Mac Pro will run everything except Access. Just be certain that your chosen app will run under CrossOver.

However, the ability to run Windows apps without actually installing the Windows OS in CrossOver Mac is really satisfying (especially in running Windows games) - and such apps run natively under Mac OSX.

jp_bl_68

Novice Member
You can get a really old version of internet explorer for mac. why do you need to use IE? Just out of interest.
I thought I needed it to play a browser based poker game, I didn't, but I did need Windows to download and run that particular poker program.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom