Free aerial digital. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Paul G, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I'm thinking of using digital tv through an aerial and was wondering if you can simply have a one off payment for the digi box and aerial upgrade. All I want are the free channels - Channel 5 ect. I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.
    Is this possible?

2. Staminastan2001

Staminastan2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since when you go into to Comet / wherever to get your receiver, you never actually buy the receiver - you've always got it on lease until you stop paying your subs and then thay come round and take it back! I heard somewhere that you can pay £2.99 a month for the box and only get the free stuff, the three quid you do pay is for the receiver only. Or you could buy a dodgy box second hand on eBay (dodgy because if I am understanding how it works properly, the receivers are never anybody's other than On Digital's, and therefore not anybody elses' property to auction?!) and fingers crossed the seller will not give your details to On Digital as a change of owner. But I expect they will, because unless they're gonna fake their own death or something (did you see that proggy last night?) they'll go on paying the subscription, otherwise. Unless they bought it dodgy, of course...

stan.

3. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.

4. swhits

swhits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The only way to get the free channels without subscription or buying a "dodgy" stb will be to upgrade your tv to an integrated digital one. You may still have to pay £40 for an aerial upgrade though> Make sure you can receive signal strengths in excess of 42db on each channel before laying out any cash or itv will disown you!

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought it was posable to buy a box from comet for around 350 quid . i know you used to be able to

6. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt bother - ITV digital are crap...Ive just cancelled my subscription. They dont even have the monopoly on ITV & ITV2 any more.....Youd be better off getting a sky digital box.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Wait a while.

Next year will see an onslaught of free to air STBs available to purchase around the £150 mark.

It's all part of the Government's campaign to get everyone on digital by the year 2010.

9. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news.

But never trust a politician's promise!:clown:

10. xyznicko2577

xyznicko2577

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only get a Sky box if you don't mind RED splogges popping up on the picture and ruining your viewing especially if your taping it.

This is the curse of digital Tv.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I'm gonna miss analog when(?) it shuts down :(

Since I've had my new 40" RP TV you really get to see how bad and incosistent the pic qulaity on digital TV can be.
    Analog is far superior, even if it isn't in WS.