Free 12 months Apple TV. Is it worth bothering with.

gfplux

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new Apple device.
Today I received an Email telling me I can have 12 months free Apple TV subscription. I have three months to decide.
I already have Netflix and Prime. Those together with UK terrestrial TV makes for a busy life and I am retired.
I hardly have time for more content.
I am an old man who prefers drama (on the screen)
to give an idea of my taste. I loved Bosch, Goliath, Fleabag, Halt and Catch Fire, Luther, Money Heist, Criminal (all countries), Unorthodox and any Scandy drama like the Bridge,

Is there something on Apple TV that would be a compelling reason to sign up.
thank you.

I'm on the free 12 months. Nothing much free that i can see, or that's worth bothering with.

If OP doesn't want it he can sell it to me!

As said, its free so what's to lose? But you aren't going to be repeatedly returning to it looking for new content and I doubt the content you watch will inspire you to keep paying for the service once your free 12 months have expired?

I've had it since April and I've only really used it 3 times. The film Greyhound was a nice addition, but that only really appeared on Apple TV+ because of COVID.

If however you are heavilly into Fraggle Rock and or Oprah Winfrey then it's the one for you :lesson:

Last edited:
There is nothing to lose except the opportunity cost.
As I have three months to decide I will be looking at the reviews on these forums.
ps, I am not a fan of fragile rock or Oprah although I do admire the lady.

I think the Apple TV box is brilliant, have downloaded Netflix and Disney+ and the picture and sound is far superior to Sky Q . Netflix is Dv or hdr 10 with Atmos sound .

I think the Apple TV box is brilliant, have downloaded Netflix and Disney+ and the picture and sound is far superior to Sky Q . Netflix is Dv or hdr 10 with Atmos sound .
Wrong thread. Apple TV is a streaming service.

It was to give you an insight what Apple TV can do.

I signed up just to watch Greyhound (disappointing). I think they're hoping that some will forget to cancel the "free" service before 12 months.

I see nothing much there to retain me as a paying customer. It's mostly a shop window for purchasing movies etc, with the addition of a monthly fee. I already pay for Prime and Virgin and don't need the extra cost of this service!

Since i have gotten my free one year subscription when i bought my new apple tv, i've only watched defending jacob, and central park so far and those are some very solid shows with big quality. i really enjoyed watching these shows

I'm loving Apple TV+. I am curious if I'll continue it after the free twelve months as they don't seem to be rushing themselves content wise.

That said, some of things I've watched on there lately - particularly For All Mankind, Defending Jacob and See - have been some of the best things I've watched. Very impressed.

For all mankind was indeed good but I haven’t bothered with anything else. I know the model is different than Netflix or Prime but really too little on there to continue beyond the end of the trial 12 months for me.

Although the content is quite limited at the moment, I've really enjoyed the ATV+ output that I have watched so far. As it currently stands, I'll absolutely continue to subscribe once the free year is up.

Free = Good
Anything more than £2 a month is a bit of con due to the extreme non existent catalogue hence why it's free for 12 months (should be 24 months free really...).

Just watched the first episode of Tehran, looks another really good show. Was only going to watch one, but the way it ended I had to carry on.

I've been watching the long way up & found the picture quality stunning, I also came across Tehran & thought I'd give it a go, it's really ok & kept my attention, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as 24 which was a must watch for me back then

Apple TV+ is had the best picture quality of any of the steaming platforms I’ve watched.

24 was great for the first few seasons then it was always they same, “oh no, we’ve got a mole” what sort of vetting did they do? At the interview “are you a mole?”

“no”

“you’re hired”

:D

ATV+ has the highest bit rate ever recorded on streaming platform (41 Mbps peak which is 10 Mpbs higher than iTunes 4K). Having said that I don't see much in there I would watch. I think Apple are focussing more on quality over quantity as of now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom